Circles

Alex's POV:

*

I was driving, shaking. It was January, and show glisened the roads. Marina was in the front seat beside me, looking adoringly at her little tummy bump. She had been glowing throughout the entire pregnancy. She radiated with pride and happiness. I was happy too, but today in particular, I was very nervous.

"Alley cat, what's wrong? You're wicked oversteering." She said, voice light and airy.

Wicked. I smiled. As much as she had become a Maryland girl, I could hear the New Englander in her voice. "I'm just nervous. Now we'll know. We'll finally know."

"Are you sure you don't wanna do the gender reveal in some silly way? It's your call."

"I want it like this. Alone with the doctor. Just us and this new addition to our family." I smiled, then looked back to the road.

We pulled into John Hopkins and parked. They had many parking lots, all close to the doors. I enjoyed not making my pregnant wife walk forever. We held hands. My heart rate started to increase steadily. By the time we entered, I was breathless.

"Appointment for Mrs. Gaskarth." She said to the secretary.

"Ah, Marina! Right on time!" Dr. Flora, our ultrasound technician said from the doorway. "Come right this way.

We followed, with Dr. Flora asking Marina tons of questions, which she all answered with perfect positivity. Her pregnancy was going absolutely swimmingly thus far, and she was not afraid to say it.

"Alright, just lay down right there and lift your shirt." The doctor said. "I'm always so excited to see you guys. Absolutely hysterical. And such a worryless pregnancy. But Alex, you're quiet today."

"I'm really nervous. We're finally about to know." I replied.

She squirt some gel onto her perfect stomach, then applied the scanner. Marina didn't even flinch at the cold. She was so secure. 

"Wow, this one's excited to be seen. Are you guys ready to know what gender your baby is?" Dr. Flora asked.

I grabbed for Marina's hand. "I'm ready. Are you?"

"Yep." She simply stated.

"You are having a boy!" She said.

"A boy! You guys can play football together! Isn't that awesome, Alex?" Marina squealed.

I opened my mouth but choked a little. Oh god, I was crying. Fuck.

"Oh, Alex, don't cry. We can still have a girl someday." Marina said.

"I'm..Just.. So happy!" I teared up more.

A little boy. Marina was right; we could play football, watch action movies, and listen to punk music. Not that a little girl wouldn't enjoy doing those things, but most really don't. Even Hazel, in her tomboy ways, had primarily feminine interests. I can't relate to a lot of feminine things because I'm just not a feminine guy. 

Marina was glowing. She really wanted a boy. Marina feared that if we had daughters there would be a lot of parent loathing and over spending and brattiness. She wanted a little boy to watch football with and cook for his buddies. "How do you wanna announce this to everybody?" She asked.

I said the first thing that came to mind. My voice was still shakey. "Let's get blue balloons and drop them at everyone's doorsteps."

"Just a random blue balloon Alex?" She was skeptical.

"Yes."

After leaving, we went to a grocery store. Marina computed that we needed balloons for the Merricks, The Barakats, The Dawsons, Lisa, and my folks. So five. We hopped back in the car, heading to my parents' house first. We dropped it on their doorstep without a note or anything. Then Zack, Jack, and Rian. Lisa was sitting on her front pourch. Marina ran up while I waited in the car. We were rushing because I needed to get back home and shit. Lisa squealed and hugged her. Later on that day, we took a pic of the balloon left on my folk's doorstep and posted it to all the social media. Everyone was overjoyed.