Chapter 3: Arrival

Start from the beginning

I don't reply and when she turns away I mock her under my breath in an exaggerated, high pitch voice.

The sound of feet padding against the floor is heard and I perk up in my seat. "Milo!" I say in cute baby voice and my dog comes running my way. Milo is only three and he's a golden retriever. I got him when I was about thirteen years old and he's been my best friend from the start.

Jennifer huffs and I roll my eyes at her, kneeling down to cuddle my dog. "Hi, Milo!" I continue to baby him and he happily wags his tail at me and licks my face, letting me spoil him with affection.

Noah walks by to put his bowl away and Milo looks back at him. The only thing that sucked was that Milo likes Noah. If I'm not around, Milo tends to be by Noah's side. Maybe it's because Noah likes to spoil Milo like his own, but it did annoy me a bit.

But on the bright side, Milo prefers me more so ha, in your face Noah.

I stand up from my crouched position and finish up my food as Noah puts some dog food out for Milo. He pets him for a bit and I watch the two as I finish eating.

"I'm going to take Milo for a walk," I say to no one in particular, hoping off the stool to put my bowl away. "Milo, let's go." I call out for him and he follows after me. I grab his black leash and attach it to his collar before grabbing my shoes and keys.

It's super sunny out, it's no surprise since it is August, and so the sun feels good against my skin and I smile a bit. We live on a street with lots of big houses in the 'upper east side' in New York.

The streets are busy today, as usual, and I run into a friend from school, Sandra Worder. She asks about Justin moving in with us and I give her short replies, not really in the mood to discuss the details surrounding our new housemate. I was having such a good time with Milo until his name was mentioned. 

"I'll see you back in school, Beatrice." Sandra waves goodbye to me and I wave back, continuing my walk with Milo.

Eventually, we start to head back home.

When we get home, I unclip Milo's leash from his collar and put it away. Milo circles my legs and I smile down at him.

Jennifer isn't home which means she left for work and I didn't see Noah so he was probably at football practice or something.

For the rest of the day I hang out in my bedroom and watch endless episodes of Doctor Who until it's about six o'clock. I'm surprised I don't have a headache yet from the amount of time I spend staring at the computer screen.

The sound of the front door opening and closing loudly is heard and I can make out the sound of my dad's voice. I feel my heart beat quicken and the anxiety from this morning returns.

I take look in the mirror and flaten out my shirt. Time to meet the boy from the jungle.

Slowly, I pad down the stairs and inch closer and closer to the voices that are talking. There is one small bag by the door that I don't recognize, but that is it. I'm assuming it belongs to Justin.

When I reach the kitchen, I see my dad standing next to a boy. They're facing Noah and Jennifer who both seem to have a nervous look on their features. All I could see was Justin's back to me since he was facing the other two.

I walk over timidly and my dad hears my steps, turning right around. He's got a huge smile on his face. "Beatrice!" He taps on the boy's shoulder who turns and I almost gasp, but I bite down on my tongue. "Bea, this is Justin," He gestures to the boy or should I say man? He looks older than me, maybe around his twenties.

My eyes take in everything in front of me. Justin has long hair that reaches a little bit past his shoulders, hazel eyes and numerous tattoo's that cover his skin. How he got them, I don't know, but the only thing I could focus on was how good looking he was.