19. Sleep Deprived

Magsimula sa umpisa

Once I get the suds out of my hair, I rub myself down with some soap, feeling a sliver of my past get scrubbed off. I feel like the longer I'm with the Winchesters, the more my past gets left behind. Most of it I want to forget, but a few things I don't. But even the thought of them makes my heart ache terribly.

I hold the bad thoughts at bay. This bath is for a reason, and that reason isn't this. Focus on the good things. Let the water relax you. Sneak in a catnap or two, or three. You do need it. I maneuver under the water until I feel I'm completely relaxed and comfortable. Somehow, I manage to achieve both.

It takes ten minutes for me to fall asleep.

***

Growling. Running. Barking. Running. I need to escape. They're right on my heels. I need to get away from them.

Where are the damn Winchesters when you need them?

Moonlight is my only guide through the woods. I don't care about stealth at this point, they have my scent. They'll find me whether I'm quiet or loud.

I begin to feel their breath on my heels. It's not just one Hellhound that's pursuing me, it's a pack. A pack of how many, I don't want to look back and take a headcount. If I make one wrong move, I'm kibble. I will cease to exist. My body most likely will as well if the pack picks my bones free of flesh.

The only reason I'm running is because one tiny shank is not going to help me against an army of Hellhounds. But why is a pack out to get me? There's only a Hellhound per person. But I didn't make a deal with a crossroads demon! But that doesn't matter when you dream. Rules don't exist here.

After crashing through brush, I'm exposed to an open, small clearing. I would have said empty, but that isn't the case. More hounds emerge from the shadows, all hackles are raised and exposed canines are their way of smiling at me. I can see the bloodlust, the hunger in their eyes. I'm surprised none jump the gun and take me to the ground.

I take a good look around me. Any direction I look, there's a Hellhound. I'm in a ring of them. The moonlight is now a spotlight, as though a show is about to begin, and I'm the main attraction. More like the main course.

Out of desperation, I pull out my shank, trying to seem as threatening as possible to these hounds. But they can all sense my worry. They can probably smell my fear. The circle begins to close in. Some snap their jaws to make me flinch. Their scare tactics aren't necessary; their presence alone frightens me.

"Now, now," comes an accented voice from the shadows. "Easy, pets. It's not dinner time yet."

The circle stops shrinking. Low growls still vibrate from hounds' throats. I search for their master.

"I don't have a right to know who the man behind my murder is?" I throw out smartly. "Come on, that's just being rude."

"You won't recognize me if you see me."

"I probably don't know you."

"Oh, you do, Maxi. You do. Just need to jog that noggin of yours into remembering."

"Remembering what?" I jerk my head when I think I see something move in the darkness between the trees. "This is a dream, I didn't do anything!"

"That you know of." The voice snickers.

"What is really necessary to bring the entire population?"

"Oh, this is nothing, dearie. If you want to see the entire population, I suggest you visit Hell."

"I think I'll pass. I don't do well in the heat," I retort tartly.