Chapter 1: The Carnival

Chrissy's P.O.V

"Come on! Quickly! We're going to be late for the carnival!" I cried out, looking up the staircase.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" Alex said, as he rushes down the stairs in a maroon collar shirt and jeans. "Sheesh, stop getting so hyped up over carnivals."

Since I was young, I have always loved carnivals! I loved the games and food there. Not to mention the joyous atmosphere there makes me smile every time. The carnival is my favourite place to be, partially because my dad used to bring me there when I was like 5. It was the one place I could always enjoy myself together with my dad. It was my happy place.

"You're always so slow! Stop being so slow!" I said, as I crossed my arms and tapped on my feet urgently. I was clearly peeved.

I could feel irritation just boiling inside of me as I looked at Alex taking his own sweet time trying to tie his shoe laces. I wonder why I even try to put up with him.

"I know you're super irritated right now, I can sense it through that death glare of yours" Alex chuckled with a smirk on his face, making him look undeniably cute. "Just chill okay?"

"I would've just left you here if you weren't my best friend" I said, rolling my eyes.

"Awww, how sweet." Alex laughed as he grabbed my arms and looked at me with his golden chocolate eyes. "Let's go."

-----------------------------------

The carnival looked perfect!

It was overflowing with people. Children, adults, even the elderlies! I could smell the sweet aroma of popcorn and candy floss nearby. I could hear the deafening screams and cries of those on the roller coaster. I could even see people barfing their lunch and dinner away in the trash bins. Oh, how I love the carnival!

"Hey, let's go buy some candy floss!" I squealed.

"Alright! Don't get too excited!" Alex said, trying to calm me down.

Alex and I were inseparable. Literally, since we were still in our diapers. Our parents were good friends, so I spent a lot of time with Alex. He was my best guy friend, a loving brother to me. He would never fail to make me happy. He would never get annoyed with me. For instance, he has been to many carnivals, and it gets boring for him. But he never fails to miss it for me! That's my best friend.

"Where should we go next?" I asked, holding a big black bear soft toy Alex won for me.

"How about..." He replied, startled for a moment, then continuing his sentence, "...that stall over there? I've never seen it before."

Alex pointed his finger at a stall, beside the corn dog stand. It was a stall with Chinese and English words on it.

Fortune Stall? I've never seen that stall before.

Alex and I walked over to the Fortune Stall. We saw a lady, back facing us, with dark black hair tied into a bun. She seems to be wearing a traditional Chinese dress. A long red dress donned with golden and blue flower patterns on it. It was a beautiful dress.

"Hi welcome." Said the woman, smiling.

She's beautiful...

I finally snapped out of my gaze from her and said, "H-hi! We just wanted to try out your stall. We've never seen it before." I could feel my cheeks burning, embarrassment for staring at her too long.

I looked at Alex, thinking that he would be gazing and drooling at her too. But apparently he was looking at me! Well, he was laughing at me. I would've hit him immediately for laughing at me, but I felt more embarrassed as the woman began giggling too.