Chapter Twenty Three

Beep, beep, beep, beep. I groaned and smacked my phone on my nightstand hoping to turn off my alarm. It was time to start getting ready for school. I changed into a t-shirt and shorts with my black and mint Nikes. My mom tossed me a pop tart as we headed out the door into the car.
   "Try to have a good day at school and get to know some new people." My mom suggested.
   "I am pretty sure I am not going to meet a new best friend, so why bother?" I asked grumpily.
   "You never know." My mom said trying to stay optimistic.
   We pulled into the parking lot of North Miami High School. My mom dropped me off at the door.
   "Don't get stressed out, it's only your first day." She said.
   I waved goodbye and opened the door. The hallways were crowded with people making it hard to find the main office.
   "Is there any way that you could point me to the main office?" I asked a girl coming out of the library.
   She pointed down the hallway and brushed past me. Well that was helpful. I thought to myself sarcastically. I finally found my way to the office after asking three people and walking around the school twice.

  "Hi. I am Alex Frasier, the new student." I said awkwardly.
   "Hi Alex! We have been expecting you to come sometime this week. Here is a couple copies of your schedule along with a map of the school. And by the way my name is Miss Blaney." She rambled.
   "T-thank you" I stuttered nervously.
   I walked into my first period class and took a seat in the back.
   "Uh, what are you doing in my seat?" A tall intimidating girl asked me.
   "S-sorry." I said standing up.
   The teacher stood up from his desk and walked over to me.
   "Hi, my name is Mr. B and welcome to social studies!" He exclaimed. "Everyone, this is Alex. She just moved here from Montana so let's make sure that she feels welcome today." He informed the class.
   I sat in an empty desk away from the rest of the class, wondering how I would make it through today.

*****
I walked into the cafeteria and stood in line for lunch.
   "What will it be? A cheeseburger or cook's choice?" The old lady behind the counter barked at me.
   "Are there any other options?" I asked.
   "Nope, you are holding up the line!" She shouted.
   "Cooks choice then." I replied.
   She scooped some green beans and a huge piece of meatloaf onto my tray. I payed for my lunch and sat down at an empty table. Fruit flies buzzed around the meatloaf. I plugged my nose and took a bite. It was the worst school food that I had ever tasted in my life.
   "Pretty nasty stuff, huh?" A girl said laughing at my disgusted facial expression.
   "This is terrible! Is it even edible?" I asked jokingly.
   "Hi, my name is Lauren. I moved here from Kentucky last year. What's your name?" She asked.
    "My name is Alex and I just moved here from Montana." I replied.
   "I miss my horse, Jessie. I had to sell her when we moved. Did you own a horse?"
   When she asked that wonderful question, my face lit up. I could talk about this for hours. We spent the whole time bragging about our horses and reminiscing over the races that we had won. It was sad to see the period end.
   "I'll see you tomorrow!" Lauren called down the hallway.
   I smiled to myself. Even though the food and advice here wasn't the best, I had found a new friend.