Chapter Eight

Growing more weary than ever, I rested my head on Misty's mane as she slowly walked forward. I had not eaten for hours nor had I fed Misty. I reached into my backpack and let Misty eat one of the apples that I brought. I pulled out a granola bar for myself. It only came with six in the box so I would make sure to savor them. I devoured the granola bar and reached in the box for a second one. Savoring was overrated. It was about eight in the morning. Unfortunately, my parents were most likely up by now making breakfast and drinking coffee. However, they usually wake me up around nine, so there is still a chance that I will get home in time. Misty started to pick up the pace and trot, as if she had heard my thoughts and wanted to get home quicker too.

We continued on for what seemed like forever until we saw a patch of light about half a mile away. "Let's go! Faster! Faster!" I cried out to Misty. The patch of light signified that there was a clearing of trees meaning that we were probably back at the ranch. On my command, Misty began to run faster toward the light. As we approached the light, my grin turned into a huge frown which led to frustrated tears. The "light at the end of the trail" was just sunlight shining on the forest floor in a clearing of trees. Disappointed, I turned Misty around and headed back the way we came from. After going about two miles, I stopped Misty abruptly.
"This is the way we came from right? This is the way to go; it has to be." I murmured to myself.
"Let's just find that one big tree that we slept by last night." I said confidently to Misty.
Lately, I had begun to talk to Misty as if she was someone who could help me out and answer my questions. Even though I knew she couldn't answer, it gave me reassurance to know that she was there protecting me. Turning back around again, we headed in the opposite direction.

*****
Hours passed slowly. The sun had started to set and the air grew chilly. I came to the conclusion that I was lost. My parents were probably searching for me. I sighed and dismounted Misty. I set up my stuff in between two extremely big rocks. Snacking on a granola bar, I stroked Misty's mane and fed her a handful of oats. I let my mind wonder for what seemed like forever. What if I never made it back home? What if I ran out of food? What if my phone loses charge? I laid down inside my sleeping bag and counted the stars one by one. I felt a sense of peace and comfort as if I was going to be okay for the time being. Just when I had started to relax, a crack of thunder boomed loudly and a bolt of lightning lit up the sky. Misty whinnied loudly. I shivered and pulled my sleeping bag over my head as raindrops started to fall. I finally gave up trying to take cover and let the rain soak my face; one drop at a time. I closed my eyes and tried to shut out the thunder and lightning. After a couple hours, I fell into a restless sleep.

*****
I woke up the next morning just as the sun was rising. My hair and sleeping bag were damp as well as my backpack with all of my belongings. I stood up and walked down the trail using oats to mark my path. Behind a couple of trees, I spotted a river. I walked up the river and peered down. I saw many fish swimming along the current. I tried to catch one with my hands and didn't succeed. I picked up a sharp stick and used it to stab the fish. I set it down and attempted to make a fire by rubbing sticks together. After I created a spark which turned into a blazing fire, I cooked my fish. I enjoyed my homemade meal and ended up making more for myself. I offered one to Misty but she didn't eat it. Instead she walked over to my backpack and nudged it gently as if trying to tell me that she wanted breakfast too. I unzipped my bag and fed her the last apple. It was almost fun eating breakfast with Misty. In fact, if I wasn't worried, I would have had a great time.

After finishing the meal, I walked back over to the campsite and pulled my sleeping bag into the sun to dry. I was actually becoming quite at expert at camping. In a day's time, I had figured out how to find shelter, find food, and start a fire. I stopped abruptly and stared at Misty for a long time. I tried to sort through my thoughts as they came faster than I could think. Suddenly I remembered what happened. I remembered why I couldn't find the tree. I remembered how I got lost.
   "It's real, girl. The myth is real." I whispered to Misty.