Chapter 38 - Pride

Start from the beginning

"I have been wanting to serve that business relationship with him for quite a while, but he has quite a few shares in the company."

"Regardless," I continue. "The problem is fixed. He'll maintain his investment and we can continue with the production as planned. However, I've talked to Teru already and we are looking into other sponsors just to be safe and have more righteous people in the team."

"That is marvellous, Ann-chan. I knew you could do it. I didn't doubt it for a second," he says next and for a heartbeat I think I've heard him wrong. It's not possible he's said that, or that he sounded so confidently when saying it. "I wouldn't expect less of my child."

"W-what?" I stutter, my eyes widening in shock as I just stare at him, taken aback with his words and the smile he gives me.

"I trust your decisions because I know no one else would've tried as hard as you to make this production a success. No one would've put her whole heart like you've done. Maybe someone with more experience would've done a smoother work, but they wouldn't have been as invested as you are. They wouldn't have carried the whole wight on their shoulders. You did well, my child."

My heart skips a beat, I think even my breath gets caught in my throat. I'm trying to process the words I've heard, to find the real meaning behind them but Father's never been the type to beat around the bush.

"R-really?" I ask like an idiot, making him smile fondly.

"Of course. Why would I let you take my place if I didn't believe you would do an outstanding work?"

This time I really can't breath, I'm too surprised to do so.

"I thought... I thought you were disappointed in me," I confess what I've always believed, what is ingrained in my very soul.

"Disappointed? Why would I be, Ann-chan?" he asks. "You're my daughter and I know very well how hardworking you are."

"Then why... why did you keep me away? I thought you were even ashamed of me," I continue, my eyes watering. Maybe it's because I've cried a lot already, but I can't keep the tears at bay.

"Oh, never! I was protecting you, Ann. I wanted you to have a normal life. I wanted you to enjoy your childhood and youth. I could give you a comfortable life and I wanted you to enjoy that."

I take deep breaths, trying to calm down my erratic heart and my head that's spinning with all the misconceptions I held there for my whole life, coming afloat all together just to be kicked out.

"I didn't want to push you or decide your future for you. I didn't want you to think you had to follow my footsteps, so I gave you the space to find yourself and if then you decided to take over the company, then I would happily guide you, but I was never going to force you."

I swallow the lump in my throat. The truth that never crossed my mind soothing the wounds I've kept in my heart for so long. These words embrace me like warm arms taking me home, telling me it's okay, I'm not rejected, I'm not a failure, I'm not a disappointment. I lived with the stigma that I was the black sheep, and now Father tells me he was just letting me be free. But I used that same freedom against myself, manipulated by my own insecurities.

"I wanted it to be your decision, I didn't want to influence you. No matter what you chose, I would always support you. That is what we want with your mother, for you to be happy doing what you love, even if it's not what I love."

"I love what you do... I really enjoy it, even if it's so hard," I hurry to say because it's true, I've discovered I enjoy this world, even if it's the most difficult and tiring thing I've ever tried, it's exciting and promising.