Chapter 8: Breakthrough

Tristan's POV

Standing with my hands folded across my chest, I tried the best I could to feign interest in the plaques that lined the walls. I grew tired of watching the steady stream of people moving in and out of the courthouse. Ever since our little dinner mishap I decided that I need to limit the amount of time spent with Selena. Who's to say I won't snap and end up killing her if she gets another evil gleam in her eyes when we discuss Lise.

We've met up for lunch every day this week and I'm still no closer to finding out something I can use against her then I was that first day in the coffee shop. I was growing frustrated and I'm constantly irritated. For some strange reason, Selena seems to be feeding off my rampant emotions. She's been extra friendly and extremely generous when it comes to offering to help get to the bottom of this.

"Are you Tristan?" An older woman asked as she approached me. Taking a second to think about whether or not I wanted to disclose this information, I nodded my head. "Nice to finally meet you, I'm Mrs. Cortez. I work with Selena and she talks about you non-stop. She asked that I tell you she's running about fifteen minutes behind." She smiled, extending her hand out for a handshake. "It's so nice to see Selena socializing again. I was so worried about her, you know with the whole incident of her godmother's murder. That woman was all Selena had as a mother figure."

Allowing my eyebrows to scrunch up in a look of confusion, I decided to try and milk this lady for as much information as I possibly could. She obviously doesn't seem to have an issue with disclosing people's personal business. "Selena's godmother was killed? I had no idea." I stated, the tone of my voice filled with surprise. "When did this happen?"

Mrs. Cortez took a seat beside me, a distant look took over her eyes. "It's probably been a little over a year?" She said a bit unsure of herself. "This woman practically raised Selena after her own birth son was taken away to be raised by his father. Selena was devastated when hearing the news of her death."

Warning bells began ringing loud and clear in my ears. Would Selena's godmother's death have anything to do with Lise and the council? A knot formed in the back of my throat when I began putting pieces of the puzzle together. If this lady confirms what I'm thinking, then this means Selena doesn't want me. She's out for revenge, maybe getting me is just an extra bonus to the package. "If you don't mind me asking, what was her godmother's name?" I inquired, not really wanting to know but needing confirmation.

Mrs. Cortez looked deep in thought for a moment then her eyes lit up with recognition. "Maria, her name was Maria." As she uttered five words that made my heart stop dead in my chest, Selena appeared from one of the courtrooms and began making her way towards us. A smile taking over her expression as she came to a stop in front of us.

"Sorry the case ran over." Selena apologized to me then turned and directed her next sentence towards Mrs. Cortez. "Thank you for keeping Tristan company."

Mrs. Cortez nodded her head and gave me a look that basically said, 'Please don't tell her I told you all that.' "Oh, it was my pleasure. I can see why you're smiling all the time now." Mrs. Cortez teased as she gave Selena's arm a playful squeeze. "Tristan, it was a pleasure to meet you. Hope to see you again soon." I mumbled something along the lines of "me too."

Since the weather's nice out and it's not too cold. We decided to go to an outdoor cafe down the street for lunch. "Have you heard anything about your mate?" Selena asked taking a bite of her forkful of salad. She looked at me expectantly.

"No, still no word." I answered quickly going back to my thoughts. A thousand things swirled through my mind. First off, I was concerned about Lise. If Marco is a part of this, he's a dead man. He better have a damn good excuse for not telling me about Maria being Selena's godmother. I was pissed that I left her in Marco's hands now that I know this information.

"Well, I have some news for you." Selena disclosed as she leaned in excitedly. "I know where your mate is hiding and I will take you to her tonight."

Lise's POV

"Lise, can you please stop fidgeting so much?" Rico pleaded as he glanced over at me with a wary expression. I suppose I am moving around a lot, but I can't help the fact that I'm unable to stay still. I need to keep moving, keep myself busy so that I won't worry. Once my body stops moving my entire brain goes into overload.

Tristan is always the first thing to pop into my mind. It's been three days since I last heard from him. What I mean by that is, it's been three days since he last mind-linked me willingly, on his own. Seems like I always have to initiate conversations anymore and it's starting to wear thin on me.

My father and Lonso are still being held prisoner by the council. Which leads to my second concern. The reason why I've felt the need to keep myself preoccupied is because, I'm waiting for Marco's return from visiting them. No news is never good news is it? He's been gone since this morning and I was starting to become more and more paranoid with each passing second.

What if the council grows suspicious of Marco and ends up detaining him too? Believe it or not I've come to allow myself to grow close to Marco. Almost as close as I am with the guys back home. The sound of my cell phone ringing brought me to a holt. An instant smile spread across my lips. It feels like forever since we've last spoken.

"Are you calling to rub in the fact that you're eating ice cream without me?" I asked with a chuckle, even though my heart ached at missing my best friend. I felt awful for leaving so much responsibility in her hands. She should be sitting back and realaxing while almost seven months pregnant, not be in charge of the Luna duties of an entire pack.

Anya let out a snort and then began sniffling into the phone. "When are you coming home?" Anya wailed into the receiver. "I'm sorry, my hormones are still out of whack. I just miss you so much. We should be getting fat together, not going through all this! Don't make me fly over there, I'll kill that bitch Selena myself. Belly and all, we can get it on...my face isn't pregnant."

We both burst into laughter and just like that all my worries seemed to evaporate into thin air. Even only if it was just for a few moments. The sound of Tristan's voice pushing through my mind made me promise to call Anya right back. I could suddenly feel the stress and worry plaguing Tristan.

'Lise, where's Marco? I need you to have him call me now.' Tristan ordered without even giving me a proper greeting. 'It's really important.'

'Well hello to you too.' I answered with a snippy attitude. 'What's going on?'

'Sorry baby, I just have a lot on my mind. It's nothing for you to worry about just yet. Just please have Marco call me as soon as possible ok?' Tristan pleaded and by the sound of his voice, I couldn't deny him. 'Listen, I have to go right now but I'll see you later on. I'm coming to Marco's territory with Selena.'

What does he mean he's coming here with her? If I see her face I'll end up killing her for all the grief she's caused. There better be a damn good reason why Tristan is bringing her here. Selena better keep her distance from me or else she won't make it to the council to tell her story. We all don't want that to happen because that would mean the end of it for me and my family.

---------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the delay, work has me exhausted and writer's block doesn't help either. Thanks for your patience and continued support. I will start updating more often, promise!xoxo