Chapter 7: Forming Bonds

Tristan's POV

Pulling up to the front of a small gated house in a rundown part of the next town over, I glanced down at the napkin in my hand...double checking the address. Initially I would have thought I was lost or in the wrong neighborhood, but my GPS proved me otherwis, stating destination on the right. This is where Selena lives? It made me wonder why she wasn't part of a pack or living in a pack house. It'd be interesting to know the whole story behind that, I'm pretty sure it'll have something to do with her psychotic way of thinking.

Reaching over to the passenger seat, I grabbed the bunch of roses I purchased off some man in the street. Figured I may as well pull out all the tricks in winning her over. The quicker I earn her trust the better. Exiting the vehicle, my eyes scanned the perimeter to assure there wasn't anything abnormal lurking around. I still wasn't sure whether this was a set up to lure me out to a remote location in order to plot against me or if this was truly her house.

As I made my way towards the gates, the squeaking of the front door opening followed by Selena coming out and closing the door behind her confirmed the latter. So much for her allowing me to be a gentleman in picking her up at her doorstep. She wore a black body hugging dress with red high heels. I stood there somewhat mesmerized by her fluid movements along with the way her long black hair flowed behind her. It was as if she were a model making her way down the runway...not someone living in the midst of squalor.

A bright smile tugged at her lips as she came to a stop in front of me. "Hello Tristan." Selena breathed leaning over to kiss me on either side of my cheeks. Snapping out of it, I greeted her back by handing over the flowers and offering a meek response. "Evie." I felt disgustingly guilty for even allowing her this close, it just felt wrong on so many levels. My heart ached to be near my pregnant mate, but instead I'm going out on a dinner date. Ushering her over to the car, I held the door open for her and exhaled a deep breath before getting in.

The entire car ride was filled with mindless chatter. Me asking Selena how her day at work was...not that I truly gave a damn, but I needed to act like it...and Selena talking non stop in broken English about anything amd everything. I was grateful when I pulled up in front of the restaurant and valet opened the doors. The gush of fresh air filled my lungs easing my already tense body. Leading the way into the restaurant, I placed the palm of my hand on Selena's lower back to guide her through the crowd.

The host seated us at a candlelit table for two right in the center of the crowded yet spacious restaurant. I chose this place because it was listed in the hotel binder as one of the top ten restaurants to dine at while visiting Spain. I would have much rather been here enjoying my time with Lise, but here I am with Selena. Ordering the finest bottle of wine they had to offer, I looked over at Selena who was eyeing me a bit warily. "I need to tell you something. Please don't be angry with me." She smiled, but I could tell it didn't reach her eyes.

My palms gripped the edges of the table as anxiousness overcame my entire body. This is it...she's going to admit everything she's done out of guilt. It was surprising that I was able to get through to her that quickly, it was almost too good to be true. Reaching one hand over, I placed it on top of hers urging her to confess. "What is it Evie? I promise I won't be angry." She let out a nervous laugh and exhaled deeply through her nose. "My name is not Evie...it is Selena."

All the adrenaline rushing through my veins crashed and burned with disappointment. Giving her hand a little reassuring squeeze, I smiled. "I already knew that when I saw your work ID badge this morning." I admitted, which caused her to blush. "Sorry." She apologized and dinner continued on. I was biting into a piece of my steak when Selena asked a question that almost required me to get the heimlich maneuver.