Valkyrie snapped her fingers, warmed her hands with the flame. "Sort of feels dirty. I mean, she's good now, isn't she? She's a friend?"

"Well, the nature of blackmail is to force someone to do something they don't particularly want to do. Which is why we are here to figure out who is blackmailing her and kindly ask them to stop."

"'Kindly?'"

"Relatively speaking. You look cold."

Valkyrie held the flame close to her nose. It was numb. "I am cold. It's cold out. Why are we training outside?"

"To enjoy the scenery."

"We're in your backyard."

Skulduggery spread his hands. "Enjoy."

She laughed.

...

"So," Solomon began.

Valkyrie looked up sharply. "Oh, no."

"How do you know what I'm going to say is bad?"

Valkyrie's head lolled back, and she got a lovely view of the Temple's ceiling. It was damp. And cold. And not very aesthetically pleasing. She sank down lower on the bench and looked back at him.

"You only use that tone when we're going to talk about the off-limit topic." She watched him smile and adjust his grip on his cane. "Yep, see, here we go."

"Valkyrie, we both know you're approaching your surge—"

"Wow, it's almost like everyone I know doesn't remind me of that little fact any time I use magic around them." Valkyrie took a breath. "Well, you might as well. I'll add it to the list."

Solomon tried a quick smile. "You're one of the most powerful Necromancers I've ever seen. It would be a shame if you picked Elemental over—"

"Skulduggery doesn't talk to me about it."

Solomon's mouth snapped shut.

Valkyrie suddenly wished they were training again. It was almost painful to sit here, ring burning cold fire on her hand, and be judged. She let out a sigh and sat straighter, stretching her fingers. She was about to apologize, but—

"You could save the world, Valkyrie."

"I already have. A couple of times." She stood. "I have an impressive resumé."

He shook his head, took a quick step forward, and she almost thought he was going to grab her shoulders and shake her. She wasn't sure if she would have shrugged him off, but he stopped, feet from her.

"You could bring this world into a new age! You wouldn't have to save the world from anyone. As the Death Bringer—"

"Solomon—"

"As the Death Bringer, you wouldn't have to save anyone. You would bring around a realm of peace, an age of prosperity. No wars, no death, no dark gods. That would all be you, Valkyrie. This power?"

Solomon sent a shadow whipping at the bench behind Valkyrie, so close she could feel the air shift around her. She didn't have to look to know the bench was in pieces.

"You could use it for good."

Solomon took a step back from her, looking away, gripping his cane. It was suddenly very quiet, and she couldn't stop the thought that she wasn't sure came from her mind or—

Well, that sounds much better than destroying everything, doesn't it?

...