Chapter 16

Chapter 16

While Joe showered, Val stole the opportunity to call Lexy. After her olympic-esque marathon with Joe all day yesterday, she didn't have the energy to sarcastically thank Lexy for inviting Mark over to her apartment. She was still fuming about his unannounced visit as she dialed her sister's number.

You've reached Lexy. I'm not-

"Bitch," Val mumbled, ending the call before the message could finish playing.

Mark's sudden reemergence into her life reminded her of why she had stayed single over the last several months. On that night, nine months ago, she had managed to convince Mark that she'd do her best to balance home and work. The first month wasn't so bad. Her training allowed her to get back home often and things between her and Mark seemed to be working out. She'd even accepted his proposal. However, by the second month, training had become round the clock and traveling with the roster had become more frequent and mandatory. By the end of December-the third month, their relationship was nearly nonexistent. An early arrival home culminated into one of the worse arguments she and Mark had ever had, sealing the end to their relationship.

Val sat on the edge of her bed, fiddling with the hem of one of Joe's "Hit Hard Hit Often" t-shirts and thinking about that night, the memory still as vivid as yesterday morning. Her thoughts were thankfully interrupted when Joe poked his head out of the bathroom door.

"You coming?" he asked.

"Yeah, gimme just a sec. I gotta text Lexy."

"Alright, doll," he said, retreating back into the bathroom.

"That man right there," she said to herself, shaking her head and shuddering at the image of what was on the other side of the door.

Why'd you tell Mark I was in town?, she texted, before going into the bathroom with Joe.

She quickly pulled the t-shirt over her head and climbed into the shower, nearly passing out from the sight of Joe's nude and soaking wet body.

"Took you long enough," he said, turning to grip her waist and placing a short kiss on her lips. He went to her earlobe next, drawing out a soft moan.

"How about a quickie?" he suggested.

"Um, how about no? I'm still sore from yesterday."

Joe smirked and pecked her lips.

"I guess I can let you slide this time. I did fuck you three ways from Sunday," he said, slipping his hands around and grabbing her backside.

"You're such an ass," Val said, laughing and swatting at his hands.

"Yeah, but you liked it. Tell me you didn't."

"Shut up. Can you wash my back please?"

"I can wash your whole body, baby."

And that's just what he did. Val relished in the gentleness of his caress on her body and let the stress of yesterday's encounter with Mark swirl down the drain. By the time their shower had ended, Val was so turned on by Joe that she almost wanted to cancel her flight to Hidalgo ... almost.

The couple quickly dressed and made a final sweep of Val's apartment. Joe had doused on her favorite cologne and had it not been for their need to get to the airport, she would have probably fallen victim to the hypnotic fragrance and the sexy way he kept glancing at her and licking his lips like LL Cool J.

"You ready, baby?" he asked.

"Um, yeah. Let's get the hell outta here," she said, grabbing her carry-on and rushing him out of the front door.