Chapter 21

As I skated towards the Echizen complex, my mind was still filled with the proposition that I had just been offered five minutes ago. When I volunteered to play yesterday this is not what I thought it would come to. I stopped at the gate of Nanjiro’s house and opened it. I looked up at the stairs I was going to have to climb and felt tired by just looking at them all.

I left my skate board at the bottom of the stairs as climbed up to the household a walked around to the back. I was too tired to look for him so I found him the old fashion way. “Oy! Old Man, where are you!” I shouted out, annoyance clearly laced in my voice. 

As soon as I shouted it a head pooped out of the back door. He smiled at me. “So, you actually came.” He said as more of a statement then a question.

“Of course I came. I promised, didn’t I?” I challenged with a smile.

He walked out of the door and made his way so he a short distance away from me now. “That’s right I forgot. You never break promises.” He said cheerfully. 

I paled at this comment. Out of all god damn times to say something like that, someone out there really does hate me it’s official. I tried to maintain my smile, but it came out more strangled than anything. He looked up at me because of my silence and noticed. 

I saw him observing me and tried to cover it up. “Ha! Ha! Ha! You know me!” I laughed awkwardly. Clearly not comfortable with the situation I had been placed in.

Unknown to me though he was partially aware of the reason as to why I was acting so abnormal. He had received a call from his old coach before you had come over explaining the situation. Ryoma was on the regulars to and it would be great for both him and you if you were accepted onto the regulars as well, but obviously you weren’t going to make that simple. “Oy.” He said interrupting my awkward laughter.

“Follow me.” He said with semi-seriousness. 

He turned around and started to walk to who knows where. “Hey, wait up!” I called out before running up to him.

We walked around to the side of the house where the tennis court was. I looked it over again seeing as yesterday I didn’t really have the chance to. The courts surface was dirt but it looked very similar to clay. We walked across the court to the opposite side near a shed. When we walked across the court I noticed how the ground absorbed our steps and made footprints after we had stepped. It couldn’t have been dirt so; it must be a certain type of clay. I smiled to myself. Leave it to Nanjiro to find something of this caliber. “Catch.” Nanjiro said. 

I turned around and just barely caught the wooden racket that he had thrown at me. After fumbling around with it in my hands I made sure I had a secure grip before turning to Nanjiro. “Old man that could have hit me in the face!” I shouted at him.

He just waved it off. “Yeah, yeah, I knew you would catch it so relax! I wouldn’t do something to purposely hurt you.” He said casually.

I was left speechless by this and didn’t reply. I followed his movements to one side of the court where he stood nonchalantly. He looked over at me. “Well?” he said.

I looked at him confused. He stood there for a moment hoping I would figure it out rather than having to explain it to me. “Let’s have a match.” He said slowly bringing out each syllable as if I was a child.

I blushed at my lack of brains and nodded, I reluctantly made my way onto the court. This would be okay, right? It’s not an official match so it’s fine. Though latley, whether the match is offical or not doesn't seem to matter.

I moved to the service line and got into position. “You can serve first.” I called out.

He smirked. “Oh? Aren’t you feeling a little confident today,” He taunted. “You want me to give you a handicap?” he questioned with that stupid grin stapled to his face.