Chapter 3

It didn't take long for Ashton, Calum and I to become incredibly close friends. We spent almost every day together doing a bunch of dumb shit and I was glad to be able to call them my friends. I had slowly started to let my guard down, not that I had much of one after the first few days. 

I woke up to my phone blasting the deafening default ringtone in my ear. I groaned and checked the bright screen. It was Calums stupid face that he had put as his contact picture. I decided to leave it because it was 2:30 in the morning and I'm sure whatever he had to say could wait until I was fully awake. I hit decline and fell back asleep. Shortly after I was woken up again from another call from Calum. This time I decided to answer. 

 I clicked answer and waited for the line to connect. "Claire?" He said. "Cal? Is everything alright?" I asked worriedly. "No Claire, something really  bad happened." Calum said frantically. "Who? What?" I asked. "It's Ashton's parents, they where in a car crash with a drunk driver. They didn't make it and Ashton... he's not doing well Claire." He said. My heart sank. "I will be right over Cal." With that I hung up the call.

Ashtons parents had just gotten back from their month long trip from Florida about a week ago. I met both of them, they wanted to know what girl would willingly spend time with their son and their sons idiot friend. They where both always very welcoming and although I didn't spend too much time with them, I knew that they are amazing parents, after all they did a hell of a job raising their son.

I decided to pack a bag not knowing how long I'd be at Ashtons for. I know how hard it is to lose someone in your family. One thing I do know is that right now Ashton needs Cal and I. I decided not to wake my mom up considering its 3 in the morning so I sent her a text message that she would see when she checked her phone. 

hey mom, ashton is having a family emergency he needs me now more then ever, i will call and text when i know more.

Calum met me at my house so I didn't have to walk alone in the dead of night. "I don't know what we're going to walk into but I know that he's not doing good." Calum said. "We just have to be prepared for anything at this point. Tell him that we're here for him and that we love him." I replied. About a 10 minute walk and we got to Ashton's house. I took my bag and ran to the door. He opened the door with tears streaming down his face, immediately and I pulled him into a long hug. We all stood on the porch hugging at 3 in the morning but what are friends for? 

We walked inside and sat down on the couch. "I'm staying here for as long as you need Ashton, I'm not going to leave you, neither of us are." I said. "Thank you guys so much." He said. "Well, I think we all need some rest." Calum said. "There's extra blankets in the garage if you need." Ashton said. "Okay we will go get them, we will sleep out here tonight." I said.

Calum and I walked to the garage in complete silence, we both had nothing to say, the shock really didn't settle in until now. We walked into the garage and started looking around. "I found one." Calum mumbled. I searched around finding looking for another "No luck on my end." I said. I rummaged around for another one, but instead of that I found a huge spider. "CALUM, CALUM SPIDER!" I yelled. "DON'T LOOK AT ME, RUN!" He yelled. We ran out of the garage and into Ashton's house as fast as we possibly could, only to see Ashton crying. 

After one week, a lot of tears, hugging, and deep conversations in the middle of the night it was time for what we dreaded the most, the funeral. As I tied Ashton's tie I looked at myself one more time in the mirror. My tight black dress cut off at thigh length, and I have the necklace my dad gave me for my birthday, a heart with two diamonds in the middle. My hair was in loose curls and I was wearing my fancy high heels, the ones I only wore out on special occasions, or formal events. I went to Calum and tied his tie as well. "You look very nice." He complimented. "You do too." I said. "It's time to go." Ashton said. We rode in Ashton's car to the funeral home. Once we got there we waited in the back for what seemed forever until we were called to go in. Everyone was watching as we walked down to the front, then the service started.

    "We are gathered here today to remember Kate and Frank Irwin celebration of life. Now here are a few words from there son, Ashton." Said the pastor. Ashton walked up to the stand and grabbed the piece of paper out of his pocket. "Well I wanted to start this service off with thanking you for all coming out to remember my parents. They were good people, friends to some, relatives to others, and over all amazing people to all. My parents have taught me somethings that are very important to me in my life. Even though I didn't get to say goodbye to my parents I know they will always be with me, in some way to tell me and remind me what's wrong and right. Thank you." By that point everyone was crying.

    Calum and I slept downstairs and Ashton slept upstairs. "I know this isn't a good time but you looked beautiful today." He said. "Thanks." I blushed. "No Claire, you looked beautiful today." He said. He was staring at my lips, I knew that the timing was off but I couldn't help it. I leaned in and suddenly punk rock music was playing on full blast. I'd be lying if I didn't say it scared the shit out of me. "What the hell?!" Calum said. "I'll be right back." I said. I walked over to where the music was playing which just happened to be a house down. I knocked on the door twice and boy with blues eyes and blond hair answered. "Can I help you?" He asked. "Yeah, um hey could you turn your music down please?" I asked. "Make me." He smirked.