Chapter 1

Now, to say I didn't believe in love at first sight was an understatement. To be honest, I didn't really believe in love at second sight either. Or third.

Overall, love was generally a myth to me.

My brother, on the other hand...

He could spend days sat in our library or the living room, tucked up in as many blankets as he could find, the flames in the fireplace roaring. Oh, and of course the drinks. Cinnamon hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows, coffee served to perfection with milk and sugar (a disgrace to coffee, black is the only way for me), and of course, the many, many herbal teas and concoctions. Lemon teas, berry teas, chai teas. The list was ongoing.

Anyways, my brother could spend days pouring over romance novels and love stories, all bundled up with his fireplace and his hot drinks. How boring. If I wanted to read, it would be some form of thriller with startling scenes and clever cliffhangers, or a gorey tale of death, entailed with grusome ends and all of the gore... not romance.

Who'd want to read something that could happen in real life?

Well, maybe it could happen... but not for me. I don't yearn for stupid coffee shop dates and holding hands and having your significant other give you their jacket... All if that stuff was stupid and unrealistic.

"Lovino!"

At the sound of my name, I whipped around to see my Grandpa Roma walking over to me, nonchalantly waving. He was dressed smartly (then again, when was he not) and appeared to be holding a stack of papers. He reading glasses lay percged on tge bridge of his nose.

Sighing, I folded my arms. "Sup?"

"Lovi, please be formal." Grandpa sighed, running a hair through his already messy hair.

"Okay, fine." I muttered. "What do you need?"

Roma beamed, then showed me a rather formal looking sheet of paper. The first line was adorned with a company name in pretty writing, Kirkland-something-or-other, and the rest I couldn't be bothered to read. As my eyes skimmed over a couple of the lines, and I started to pick up the gist of the very prestigious letter. My eyes darted up to my Grandpa, who was tentitivley furrowing his brows.

"It's a party?" I questioned sarcastically.

"Yes. Well, no. Gathering of people." Was my reply.

I snorted. "It's a buisness thing?"

"Yes, but of course. Some wealthy buisnesses are gathering to discuss trading and the matter."

I furrowed my brows. "So... who's gonna be there?"

"Hm. Well there's us, the Kirkland family, the Bonnefoy family, the Jones..."

I tutted again, and my eyes scrolled down the guest list.

Names and faces popped to mind as I saw each one. These were all people I knew, whether they were friends, aquaintences, or generally just mutuals. Of course, there was Arthur and his family, and then there was Alfred, Francis, Matthew, myself and Feliciano... the usual lot. However, for as many people as knew, there were at least three that I didn't.

"This is a big one, huh?" I muttered under my breath.

Typical. Perfect. Just what I wanted, more anxiety and more rich people judging me.

"So?" The accented voice of my Grandpa asked.

"So what?" I muttered.

"Are you going?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, I see!" I spouted sarcastically. "You're making it seem like I have a choice!"

Roma sighed. "Stop acting like a teenager, Lovino."