Chapter 2: In The Garden

in the garden

“Everything we have, they have,” Waverly repeated under her breath as she marched down the corridor toward the living quarters she shared with her mother. Sometimes it seemed the more serious Kieran got about her, the more patronizing his tone. If he thought that she was go­ing to be a passive little wifey with no thoughts of her own, he was in for a nasty surprise.

Still, of all the boys near her age on the ship, he seemed to be the best, and not just because he was tallish and well made. He was kind, and intelligent, and she liked how energetic he was, how lithe his body, and how well he controlled it. She liked looking at his face, at his long jawline, his pale tawny eyes, the red hairs that grew on his upper lip. And when she talked to him, he bent down and trained his ear on her as though he couldn’t bear to miss a single word. He would make a good husband. She should consider herself lucky.

But there was doubt inside of her. Everyone expected them to marry, including the Captain and their parents, and she wondered if that pres­sure had made Kieran propose. Did they love each other enough to be happy together? If thereweren’t concerns about fertility, would she marry Kieran, or anyone, right now? Shewasn’t sure. Few people would have sympathy for her hesitation. Therewere larger concerns at play than her mere happiness.

She opened the door to her quarters and walked into the living room. Remnants of hemp and cotton covered the dining table, the leavings of a dress Waverly had been trying to sew with little suc­cess. She’d had to rip out every seam she’d put in and was considering throwing thewhole mess away. Her mother’s loom stood in the cor­ner, strung with wool yarns in a blue stripe— probably a blanket for someone. The wallswere covered with family photos: of Waverly as achubby toddler; of her mother and father rosy cheeked, holding hands in the cold conifer bay; of her grandparents with their melan­choly eyes, left behind so long ago on Earth. Therewere pictures of Earth’s oceans, and mountains, and white clouds in a pale sky. “I wish you could have seen the sky,” her mother often said, which Waverly always thought so strange. She was in the sky, wasn’t she? She was surrounded by it. But no, her mother insisted, she had never seen it. Shewouldn’t see the sky until they landed on New Earth in forty­five years.

Waverly heard pounding in the kitchen. “Mom!” she called.

“Inhere!” her mother answered.

Regina Marshall was tall and brunette, just like Waverly, though shewasn’t as slim. She was kneading dough for rough peasant’s bread and kept her back to her daughter as she worked. When it was bread-baking day, Waverly had trouble getting her mother’s attention, but she knew today would be diff erent.

“Kieran proposed,” Waverly announced.

Regina whirled around, nuggets of dough fl ying from her hands, and with two eager steps she had Waverly in her arms. “I knew it! I’m so happy!”

“You are?” Waverly asked, wriggling in her mother’s tight hug. “Really?”

“Waverly, he’s the best boy on this ship. Everyone thinks so.” Re­gina’s eyes shone. “Did you set a date?”

“No. It seems strange to plan for anything right now.”

“You mean because of the other ship? Life goes on, honey.”

“But don’t you think it’s strange—”

“Oh, let’s not spoil the occasion with that talk,” Regina said lightly, but Waverly saw the anxiety in her eyes. “The corn harvest is in a few weeks. Why not have the ceremony right after, when people are ready to relax?”

“So soon?”

“There’ll be some lovely flowers. The lilies will be blooming.”

Waverly sat down at the table, set for two. “I think Kieran’s going to want a religious service.”