1. A Party

"So, Zac, what are your thoughts on the party tonight?"

Zac looked up from his book, furrowing his brow in confusion. "What party?"

Reuben chuckled and leaned across the table, fixing Zac's glasses for him. "He didn't tell you." It wasn't a question. "Your brother is throwing a party - I hope you invite me, babe," Reuben winked at his friend and went back to his lunch.

"That prick," muttered Zac, "Of course he would take advantage of our parents being away. I don't know why I didn't see this coming."

"Hey, on the bright side -" Zac raised an eyebrow at his friend. "- Nope, you're right, there is no bright side."

Zac sighed and folded the corner of his page. "I'll go talk to him."

"'Kay, babe, don't be too harsh!"

Zac weaved his way between tables towards the opposite end of the cafeteria, where his brother and co. were sitting, laughing away at something someone said. One of the boys caught sight of Zac and hissed something at Alex, a look of worry fluttering across his face. Zac walked up behind the dark-haired individual and rested his hands on his shoulders, squeezing just a little too tight. The boy tensed under his brother's unfriendly touch.

"Afternoon, everyone," Zac said, earning a few hello's from his peers and a nervous laugh from his brother, who twisted out of Zac's grasp to face him.

"I guess you heard, then?" said Alex, grimacing under the judgmental pressure of his twin's cool gaze. "Uh, you can invite that little gay friend of yours, if you want."

"You know his name is Reuben. And I'm calling Mum."

"Nooooo!" the table protested, knowing that their night of fun would be ruined.

"C'mon, Zac, give us a break," said one of the guys.

"Yeah, Alex will do anything to pay you back, wont you, Alex?"

"Definitely!" said Alex, "I'll buy you your favourite chocolate! And we won't bother you at all, I promise!"

Zac considered this for a moment. Truthfully, he didn't really want to get Alex in trouble. Besides, Zac could just hole up in his room all night if worse came to worst. "The chocolate with the different fillings in each one?" Alex nodded eagerly. "Make it two boxes and you have a deal."

The table whooped and laughed victoriously. Alex grabbed Zac in a side hug that Zac struggled out of, grumbling. He smacked Alex lightly on the head and walked back to his table, where Reuben was waiting.

"I think I've made a mistake," said Zac.

"Knowing you? Probably."

Zac growled and punched Reuben in the shoulder, but the boy just laughed.

~

As the clock beside the bed neared 7:30, the beginning of the dreaded party, Zac sighed, lying his book on his stomach and looking over at Reuben, who was busy kicking zombie ass on Zac and Alex's shared PS4. Zac rarely played on the console and so it now resided in Alex's room, where the two boys were. Reuben too noticed the time and paused his game, flicking his eyes over to the bed where Zac lay.

"It's time, huh? You sure you don't wanna dress up some for tonight, Zac?"

"I'm sure, Reu. You know parties are the opposite of my scene. If only the library was open . . ." he replied wistfully.

Reuben rolled his eyes. "Well, I'm gonna go get ready. Can't have a party without me! Oh, and I'm stealing your clothes, by the way."

"Go for it."