The Affects of Then, Another Lie, and Wishful Thinking

Chapter 10: The Affects of Then, Another Lie, and Wishful Thinking

Authors note; Thank you everyone who has been reading lately. My Record Store Romance has officially reached over 1,000 reads and counting. I am so grateful, so once again, thank you all, and I hope you enjoy this chapter.

all things aside, mini celebration for reaching a tenth chapterrr WOOHOOOO

hehe

-------

-DREW'S POINT OF VIEW-

I was slipping.

I realized this as I stumbled up the sidewalk to my front door, clutching my left hand to my chest. My mind was a little fuzzy from the pain medication Hailey had given me, but I could still feel the affects from the punches and the kicks I had received as if it were still happening.

My ribs ached, my lips burned like fire. My temples pounded, and my hands stung.

I was a wreck.

I couldn't be slipping. This couldn't be happening to me. Not again, not again.

Keep it together.

Fumbling around my jacket pocket, I squinted as the florescent porch light shown down on me. It was a simple task, but with my bandaged hands, it took forever. Plus, I was shaking. From the glow emitting from the entire house and the faint murmur of the television through the windows, it was obvious my parents were still awake. Actually, they were probably on the couch waiting for me, just like they usually were.

What would they think when they saw me like this? What would they say? They would probably would think I got back into my old ways, my old routines after the-

The-

I couldn't finish that sentence. I didn't know how. I shuddered at the thought of my old life, of what I had turned into after what happened, of who I had become. Finally, the door clicked and I shoved my keys back into my jacket pocket, pushing open the sleek white door.

When I walked in, my parents were on the couch just like I thought they would be. They were mid-conversation about whatever movie was playing on the tv, but when they heard the door creak, they both turned in my direction.

Immediately, I hurried towards the stairs so I could escape to my room, but my mom was too quick. She saw me.

"Drew!" she gasped, her voice filled with worry as I heard her stand up from the couch. After her reaction, I could hear my father as he got up as well. My heart clenched in pain, knowing what they would assume by what they would see when I turned around, but I couldn't tell them what really happened.

They were friends with Odie, but they would never let me go back to work there if they thought it was in any way dangerous.

I turned around to face them slowly, standing reluctantly with one foot on the white wooden stairs that lead me to safety, and one foot on the dark wooden floors at the bottom of the living room. When I faced them, I took in their bewildered expressions.

First my mom, one hand placed over her chest and the other around her waist. Her mouth hung open, her eyes looked dark and hollow. They used to hold so much life, her eyes, but ever since then, they always had that same empty look to them. A sudden rush of pain that had nothing to do with my injuries flowed through me, knowing I was the cause of who she was now. Her light brown hair fell in layers around her shoulders, and she looked so worried. She was always worried, another affect of then, but now with me standing in front of her, she looked more then worried. She looked frightened. I knew what she was probably thinking.