Work went by pretty fast and since Violet and I only worked until six we didn't have to close. After cleaning up the counters we made our own ice cream cones and sat outside on the patio for a bit.

"So," Violet started, "how is Zain?" I knew that tone before she even asked the question.

"I mean, it's not like he's changed since yesterday when you asked me," I shook my head and licked up a melting drop of chocolate.

She playfully kicked me under the wire table, "You know what I mean. You hardly say anything about the two of you."

"Because we're not a 'two' really we're just ones that just hang out together, so technically-"

"Okay Luna just stop," she laughed, "you're a two. Accept it."

"But we're not!" I exclaimed over my laughter. It was impossible to explain to everyone else and honestly I wish it wasn't.

"Why not? I don't understand. He's more dark and mysterious than you and that's saying something," she shook her head and took another lick of her ice cream.

"He is but he's also really annoying," I told her and she rolled her eyes.

"If he was so annoying you wouldn't be kissing him in dark closets," she smirked.

My jaw dropped jokingly, "Uncalled for!"

She laughed and shrugged because well, it was kind of true. What has my god damn life come to?

"Have you guys... you know..." she looked at me from under her eyelashes.

"God no," I scrunched up my nose, "Violet."

"What?" she said defensively and laughed, "I figured kissing wasn't the only steamy thing you guys did."

"You're revolting," I shook my head, "it's not like that."

"Then what is it like?" she threw up a hand for emphasis.

I shrugged, "I don't know, I mean we just hang out. There's a lot of talking and listening to music. Sometimes he watches me draw, sometimes we go skate, sometimes we watch movies. We drive around and there is the occasional kiss," I mentioned quietly, "but it's never just because. There's always a reason, I guess."

She gave me a look, "You guys are one of those weird couples that stare deeply into each other's eyes for hours and communicate your love through telepathy."

I choked on my ice cream (which was ridiculous because it's basically liquid), "Okay one we're not a couple. And two we're not in love."

And as much as I wanted my mind to stop thinking about those words it wouldn't. This urgent feeling somewhere inside of me was screaming and every cell in my body wanted to grab the words I just said and pull them back into my mouth. I couldn't love Zain. There was no way in hell. We weren't even a couple and honestly the thought of that nauseated me not that long ago. He annoyed me day in and day out and yeah we spent time together and laughed and kissed sometimes, but love? What the hell even was that? I love people like Violet and Monte and things like my car and my room. I don't love people like Zain. I couldn't. That just wasn't an option. Was it? God no it wasn't why- why is every inch of my skin tingling?

I focused on breathing because I just now noticed that I wasn't.

"Damn don't get your panties in a twist," Violet snorted, "you guys are cute. Like made for each other and whatnot."

"Stop making us one thing," I tried to laugh but I started coughing instead.

"You good?" she asked, not really that concerned.