Chapter 10

Chapter 10 – Salvation (Scanners)

I think every new relationship gets a period of perfection right after it starts – kind of a honeymoon phase, where everything is perfect, and both people are happy. It obviously drives everyone else nuts, what with all the kissing and hugging, and general cuteness, but when you're the one in it, it's the best thing in the world.

For Nate and me, the honeymoon started right after the dance. The second we appeared together on the floor, hand in hand, I saw a huge goofy grin light up Sebastian's face, and the rest of the gang quickly followed in suit. We went back to dance with them, but ultimately couldn't keep our eyes off of each other. We were the last ones dancing, unable to let go of each other once the music stopped.

He offered to drive me home, since he had his own car there, and so I said goodbye to everyone else, and followed him out to the parking lot (the sound of Sebastian's catcalls echoing off the brick building). We didn't say much on the way home, but as soon as we pulled into the driveway, he unbuckled his seatbelt, and hopped out to walk me to the door. Standing in my doorway, under a dark, starry sky, I felt like I was in an old-fashioned romance movie. Nate's hands found mine, and he leaned down to kiss me again. The whole world seemed to melt away, and I almost didn't notice when the front door opened.

"Woah!" Nate and I jumped apart, and I was stunned to see my brother standing in the hallway, with the door wide open. He looked directly at me, then right at Nate, then back at me. I could tell he was considering whether or not to punch him, so I quickly stepped inside.

"I'll see you on Monday," I said, trying to sound enthusiastic. "Thanks again for the ride,"

"Of course," Nate grinned, and nodded curtly at Ryder before turning around and walking calmly back to his car. Ryder closed the door behind us, and immediately stared me down.

"What the hell was that?" he asked. I shrugged.

"What do you mean?" I asked. "He just gave me a ride home,"

"I'm not blind, Lexi!" Ryder yelled. "I saw you two kissing. Need I remind you that the asshole broke your heart five months ago?"

"Ryder, stop!" I cried. "Look, you know nothing about him, okay? I love you, but you don't need to protect me, I know what I'm doing!"

"No, you don't!" he shot back. "You're sixteen, you have no idea what it feels like to be in love,"

"I never said I was in love with him, we're just trying something out,"

"And what's going to happen when he inevitably breaks your heart, and destroys you?"

"I'm not going to let him do that," I snapped. "I'm not about to depend on him to be my sole source of happiness,"

"Well, remember that when you're devastated in three months," he retorted.

"Why are you being like this?" I asked, incredulously. "I thought you'd be happy for me!"

"Well, you thought wrong," Ryder turned on his heel and stormed up the stairs, leaving me standing speechless in the hallway. After a moment, I turned off the lights, and followed after my brother. Instead of attempting to reason with him, however, I went into my own room, wiped off my makeup, changed into pajamas, and jumped into my bed, pulling the covers over my head until I could no longer think about anything except the dark.

* * *

Despite my argument with Ryder, the next few days were bliss. Nate and I spent hours talking to each other on the phone all weekend, and by Monday, we could talk about little else than each other. Luckily, Maya was also in a fresh relationship with Toby (although the two were still striving to keep it covered up), and Sebastian was still exhilarated over being able to brag about Ragan, so whenever I started to go on about Nate, they could share in my enthusiasm without feeling jealous or upset. In fact, it was as close to perfect as anyone could have ever asked for.