~ Prologue ~ Cancer Kills ~

"Zahara, your mother has requested for you,"

I look up from the magazine I was reading, to see a oldish-looking man, standing at the entrance of the waiting room. I slowly stand, tears already welling up in my eyes. I walk past the man, staring at his face the whole time. He looks sad and lonely, like he's never gotten away from this dull and depressing place- the hospital.
"My name's John. Call out to me if you need anything. You have twenty minutes."
"Thanks," I mutter. Twenty minutes isn't even close to enough time.

As I enter room 17, I notice that all four beds are occupied. A middle-aged lady, a teenager, an old man, and... My mom.
Her beautiful eyes watch me as I walk towards her, her mouth still smiling. I take a seat near her bed and hold her hand, as tightly as I can without actually hurting her.
"Hi honey," she says, "I missed you yesterday."
I can't even bring myself to speak.
"I missed you too momma." I can't do this. I can't.
She looks me right in the eye and smiles.
"Are you wearing contacts my darling? Because your eyes are bluer than ever."
I give a little giggle. I love my mom so much. She's the type of person who still stays happy, even at the worst of times.
"They're only blue because I'm missing you," I'm such a poet, but she laughs at it anyway.
"How are you dear? How's Jayden and Dad? Is Jay still doing that project of his that he was supposed to hand in last week?" She asks.
"I'm alright, I suppose. Dad's teaching himself how to cook. Apparently YouTube is the best teacher he's ever had," Then I hear my mom mumble under her breath.
"It's the only teacher he's ever had."
"Hah, yeah. Well, Jayden handed in his project yesterday, he said he was going to call you but I take it that he didn't."
"No he didn't," Her smile fades a bit.
We sit in silence for a couple of seconds, soaking in the sunshine coming from the small window.
"Ten minutes!" Jeez John, you don't have to wake the whole neighbour hood.
Mom laughs at him. I haven't heard her soft laugh in a long time. It feels nice to hear it again, just like it did at home.

"Zara, I have a little something for you, " She says in her sweet voice. Her breathing has slowed, and she's coughing a little bit. "Look in the bottom drawer, but be careful with it though."
I give her a strange look. "Oh I wonder what on earth it could possibly be," I say as I play along.
I pull out the bottom drawer, and there, sitting by itself, lays a perfect, beautiful, white flower. I cup my hands around it and bring it to the bed.
"It's beautiful," I exclaim, studying its' features, "Where did you get it?"
"It's a secret," She gives a small wink, "It's called a Zinnia. They symbolise remembrance. I want you to remember me, and this moment."
"Trust me mom, I will never forget. I promise."
She's coughing a bit more now, it's sort of scaring me.
"Mom, are you okay? Do you need a drink?"
"No thanks honey, I'm fine."
It's so beautiful. Not just the flower, but the whole scene. My beautiful mother, with the beautiful sun, holding a beautiful flower. It's perfect- minus the hospital room.
"Zahara, do you know what your name actually means?" Mom asks.
"Not a clue," I say. My name always reminded me of Africa, probably because it rhymed with Sahara....
"The 'Most Exquisite Flower'. I chose the name, because you are different my dear," Her breathing slows down even more and she's coughing and gasping for air. I can't hold my tears in any longer and I tighten my hands around hers.
"You are the most different human being I have ever met, and I love you so much."
She coughing even harder.
"Mom!" I'm crying so hard.
"That's why I chose that flower, because it isn't-" Her coughs cut her off. Blood. I just saw blood.
"Mom! Sshhh! John! John!" I yell. I'm terrified.
"It isn't the same like a rose, or a lily, or a daisy-"
I stop and listen.
She can hardly speak now. I'm crying to the fullest, and I bury my head in her shoulder.
"It's different... like you."
I can't hear her breaths. I can't hear her. I can't...
"NO! MOM! MOOOOM! NOOO! WAKE UP! MOM! WAKE UP! Mom! Please! Mom....I love you Mom..."

I blank out everything around me, even though John and the medical crew are rushing in screaming and flapping about. I cry in my Mom's shoulder and bury myself in her neck. Please Mom, don't go. It all happened so quickly. She was fine when I walked in... Now, she's-
"I love you too, Zahara," She gasped, before she fell back into the light. Her lasts words. To me. To anyone. She loves me. That's all I need to hear to make me cry and cry again.
"Zahara we need you to move please, we need to get her into emergency!" John shouts at me.
"No. I'm not leaving her!"
"Zahara please, she might still have a chance!"
John and his sidekick pull my hands away from my mom, holding me back.
"NOO! LET ME GO! LET ME GO! I'M NOT LEAVING HER-"
I struggle to get out of their grasp, but it's not working.
"Zahara you need to understand! Please at least try and make this easy for us and for your mother!"
I slowly relax and think, maybe they can still save my mom. And get that stupid cancer out.
"Okay okay, okay. But I need to get my flower. Please." I beg.
"Alright then."
I free my wrists and grab my flower. I slowly bend forward and kiss my mom on her forehead, hugging her before I leave.
"I love you mom, forever and always."
Then I exit the room, looking back one last time, watching the medical team rush around her.

That's it. I think. It's too late.
She's gone.

A couple of hours have passed, and John comes into the waiting room. He stops and looks at me, his face crowded with guilt, sadness and sincerity.
"No," I start, "No... No!"
"I'm sorry, it was too late." Was all he could say.
I stormed towards him, grabbed his shirt and looked him straight in the eye.
"What the hell do you mean it's too late?! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN IT'S TOO GOD DAMN LATE?! YOU SAID SHE STILL HAD A CHANCE! YOU LIED! YOU LIED YOU PATHETIC PIECE OF-"
Zahara, honey, that's no way to talk to that fine gentleman.
"Mom?! Mom!"
I look around, hoping to see her. But she's gone. Forever. She's not coming back.
I look back up at John, and I give him a hug.
"I'm sorry, I just-"
"I know, I know. It's hard. How about you go home and get some rest? You'll need it," He says, and I nod in reply, "I'll call your dad. Oh and, by the way, your mom told me to give you this when she.. Well, yeah."
He pulls a white card with a pink string attached to it and hands it to me.
I read it out loud.
"Zahara: The 'Most Exquisite Flower'."
John smiles and I get teary.
"There's something on the back too," He informs.
I flip it over.
"Zinnia: It's different.. Just like you. -Mom"
I fall to my knees and cry.

She's gone.

My own mother, is gone.

Forever.

I love you mom.

And f*ck you cancer!

Hey everyone. Thank you so much for reading, I really hoped you enjoyed the start of it. Please let me know if there's anything you think I should add :)
I was actually getting teary myself writing this, as this part is close to heart. My real mother had breast cancer, and had it cut out, now a chunk of her back is missing to replace the skin. Luckily she didn't die, but it still is a horrible thing to go through. Please tell me your stories or experiences too, as I would love to hear them!

Thank you again everyone, and don't forget to comment your thoughts and vote! Next chapter/update coming soon! Xx