Chapter 2 - Music

Mitch's POV

I walk around the school, looking for the music room. There are no students around because the bell went a little while ago. Great. I eventually find it toward the back of the school on its own block. Probably because of all the noise. Right now I'm standing out the front of the door, debating whether I should enter or not. After a moment, my hand rests on the knob and opens it. I'm greeted by dozens of eyes looking at me. I cower a little from the stares. The teacher claps her hands together.

"Ah, Mr Hughes. Come in!" She says. I shut the door and walk in, getting looks from the students. I gulp a little. Don't screw this up mitch, you only have once chance at this. And walk toward the teacher. She puts her hand on my shoulder. "Introduce yourself dear." She says politely. At least one person in this hell hole is nice. I swallow the lump in my throat.

"Uh. My names Mitch and I'm from Canada." I say, twiddling my thumbs. The students all start whispering to one another. God dammit! I've messed up as usual. That's about all I can do, fuck things up. The teacher smiles.

"Wonderfull Mitch. Go take that spare seat up the back next to Mr Overpower." She says, pointing to where I'm supposed to go. I walk over to that desk and sit down. The boy she mentioned looks at me. He looks pretty tall. He has dusty blond hair in a short cut. He is wearing a red jacket and jeans also. His piercing blue eyes looks strait into mine. There is something about him that seems familiar in a way.

He smiles lightly and holds his hand out, pulling his jacket sleeve up a little. "Hi I'm Lachlan." He says. He has an  Australian accent. What the heck? Why is this guy being nice to me?I look down to his hand only for my heart drop. The sleeve of his jacket has gone up a bit, so now I can see pink lines all over his wrist. He's depressed too. I look up to his eyes and he looks down at my hands. The sleeve of my jacket has come up also, so he can see my scares. So that's why he pulled it up. I smile a little and shake his hand.

"Mitch." I say and then let go. We focus our attention back on the teacher who is talking to the class.

"Ok students! Today I want you to continue work in your groups. Mitch, you can join Lachlans since you two are already aquatinted. His group will explain what's going on." She says, looking at me. I nod. She smiles. "Ok, off you go." She says. The whole class stands up, except for me. Lachlan smiles.

"Come on, we gotta meet up with the rest of the group in one of the practice rooms." He says, standing in front of my desk. I nod and get up, following him out into the school hall. I follow him awkwardly, not saying a word. He leads me to a room in the same block. "This whole block is dedicated to the performing arts. Its pretty cool actually." Lachlan says, turning around to see me. I nod my head in agreement.

He opens up a door and I walk inside. The room is a decent size, with chairs and a window. A piano sits against the back wall next to a drum kit. People sit in the room, and they all look at me. Some are girls, some are boys. There are 4 of them, some smile at me. Lachlan walks up beside me. "Hey guys, this is Mitch, well, you know that." He says. They nod and then start to introduce themselves.

"Hi I'm Jess." A girl with long black hair says with a smile.

"I'm Matt." A guy with brown hair says with bored expression.

"I'm Alesa. Nice to meet you." She says with a cheerful smile. She had red hair that drifts into yellow at the bottom. She's actually quite cute.

"I'm vikk." An Indian guy says. Lachlan walks up to him a kisses him, making me confused. The two girls giggle and Matt just roll his eyes, he looks like a boring character. Lachlan looks back to me.