Chapter 2~ Do you love me?

"You dyed your hair." Jack stated, breaking the comfortable silence. Sophie nodded.

"I felt awkward being the only blonde in the family."

"You looked beautiful," Jack replied wistfully. "You still do. But I liked you as a blonde, Soph."

Jack pulled away from her and wiped her eyes with his thumbs. Sophie frowned and looked down at her lap.

"Sophie, what else is wrong?" He asked, lifting her head to look at him.

"I missed you..." She admitted, avoiding eye contact.

"Hey," He began, making her look at him again.

"The Guardians and I are working on something to help maintain the weather and keep it stable."

"Where?"

"Everywhere. And every 'winter' I'll go over and adjust things myself."

Jack put quotations around the word winter and smiled at her. A grin bloomed on her face was she made the connection.

"So you won't be gone for so long?!"

"Depending on Guardian duties, yes I will be here more often."

Sophie snorted and poked his stomach.

"You said 'duty'."

Jack laughed and pulled her down onto the bed with him. She lay beside him, cuddled to his side, staring at the ceiling and watching the shapes Jack created with the frost he'd conjured. Absentmindedly, Jack began to think about Sophie. He was sort of confused. On one hand, he'd known her since she was a toddler. On the other he'd felt like they'd connected on a very different level that neither of them were completely aware of. He'd been around her, watching over her and Jaime since Sophie was four; Jaime was nine. It's been ten years. Pitch seems to be dormant- rarely even causing nightmares. But what had started out as him being like her older brother, began changing into something else. Jack thought about the way she smiled at him, the way her hair would shield her face when she read a book. He wondered what it would be like to hold her tight in his arms, to be able to lean down and kiss her...

"Jack?"

Sophie asked the image of her and Jack kissing bursting into snowflakes above her. She looked at him, her heart fluttering like a humming bird. He quickly looked at her, his cheeks flushing red.

"Y-yeah?"

He stuttered, making Sophie smile. She leaned over to kiss his cheek. Two seconds before she reached him, Jack turned his head. Sophie's eyes opened, staring into his. He pulled away and flew away from her, landing soundlessly by her door. She touched her lips which had just made contact with his just moments ago. Returning her gaze to his, Jack seemed to be having an internal argument with himself.

"Stupid. Why would you do that? She doesn't even like you like-"

"Jack, did... Did I do something wrong?"

Sophie questioned, staring down at her hands. She had sat up with her legs crossed and her hands folded in her lap. Jack returned to her side, without making a sound. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pulled her to him. Sophie looked up, thoughts of previous heartbreaks running through her mind. She silently prayed that Jack wouldn't be one of them.

"No...It's my fault Soph... I shouldn't have-"

Sophie shook her head and cut him off.

"Don't act like it's a bad thing, Jack. So I kissed you... Maybe I've wanted to kiss you since the last time you left me."