She held my gaze and raised any eyebrow, "You will do as your mother says."

"I'm not twelve anymore."

"You are still my son."

I bit my tongue and nodded stiffly, too tired to argue.

"Good," she said. "I should be going now. I'll see you on Sunday."

I didn't say anything but followed her as she got up from the couch and walked towards the door. She froze once she got to the door and turned around to stare at me.

I frowned, my eyebrows meeting at the middle of my forehead.

She smiled and I felt even more confused.

"What?" I found myself asking.

She shook her head. "Goodnight, Nathan."

Then she took a step forward and placed a kiss on my cheek before disappearing behind the door.

I needed tea and a really deep sleep.
~

I woke the next morning with questions I never thought to ask the night before.

Why did my mother come last night? What was going on? What was so important that my parents asked me to their home?

"Our house," she had said.

I couldn't think of anything that was so important. I knew my father wanted me to carry on the family business, but I was sure that after everything that happened between us, it wasn't something he wanted anymore.

So that crossed one option out a billion other ones.

I rarely saw my grandparents as a child. I only saw them a few times when they came over to visit, but we never visited them. My parents also married young, hence my grandparents weren't old enough to be in any severe medical conditions either.

That crossed out signing a will of some sort.

For the rest of the morning, as I got ready for the day, I wracked my brain to find anything that could be of use. I came up with nothing.

Around lunchtime, I gave up and ordered pizza.

Then I pushed all thoughts of my family aside and buried myself with work.

Until my phone rang and I was dragged into reality again.

"Hey, it's Jake."

I blinked, rubbing my eyes and turning away from the glare of my computer screen.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Can I come over?"

Curious, I said, "Sure."

"I'll be there in a bit."

"Okay."

We hung up and I smiled to myself. I was worried about Jake, he was acting odd the other day and I was curious to know what that was about.

With nothing to do but wait, I switched off my computer and got up from my chair.

I hurried around the kitchen and prepared two cups of tea. One just incase Jake wanted something to drink, and another for myself because I was always in the mood for tea.

The doorbell rang when I was halfway through scrolling down the messages on my phone. I wasn't sure what I was doing on my phone since I barely ever used it let alone did I receive any messages unrelated to my work.

I walked over to the door and pulled it open and had to blink twice to make sure I was seeing straight.

In front of me stood both Ian and Jake.