||Twelve||

I got a call from Jake around nine o'clock the next morning.

My lips tugged into a smile as I read his name on the screen of my phone.

"Hi," I said.

"Hey, I just got your text. Do you still want to hang out?"

"Sure, why wouldn't I?"

"You sent it pretty late last night and I thought maybe you'd be too tired...," he said.

"No, not at all," I said almost too soon, my lips pulling up in an excited grin.

"Good, I'm glad."

I smiled, "When are you picking me up?"

"Depends. Where would you like to go?"

"I don't know," I said, shrugging.

"I think I have an idea. I'll pick you up around four thirty, sound good?"

"Yeah, I'll see you then."

We hung up and I sighed as I fell against my couch. I had no plans for the rest of the day. Jake had left me some school related work to do, but I was definitely not in the mood for that.

And so the hours ticked by slowly as I ran boring errands around the apartment, walked the dog, surfed the internet, and ate food. I ate a lot of food.

At three, I decided it was time to get ready.

I strode over to my stereo system and pressed play.

Music sounded from the speakers installed in the corners of my apartment, and I bobbed my head along with the beat as I fixed my hair and picked out the clothes I would wear. I didn't know what we'd be doing but I opted for something casual yet hopefully acceptable for whatever Jake had planned.

Then I called Tom.

"Guess what?" I grinned.

"Uh, you finally named your dog?"

"No, something even better," I said.

"What is it?"

I took a deep breath, "Jake is taking me out on a date."

"What?!"

I laughed. "Should I take that as an insult?"

"No, but...What about Devin?"

I frowned. "What about him?"

"Are you finally over him?"

"I guess I am."

"All right, good. Just...be careful, okay?"

I frowned, again, "What do you mean?"

"It's just...never mind. Have fun, we'll talk about this later. Oh, and before I forget. Please tell Devin that we broke up."

My frown turned into a smile and I said, "I'll tell Devin the next time we talk. I promise."

"Good, enjoy your date," he said.

"Thanks."

I spritzed on a little bit of cologne and slipped on a pair of new shoes that I never felt the want to wear until that moment. Then I had a quick sip of milk tea and popped in a breath mint.

Just in case, I thought.

Although, who was I kidding. I was going to kiss Jake, and it would be great just like the other times before, I was sure of it.

And I was right.

Because a few agonizingly long minutes later, Jake was knocking on my door and as soon as the door shut behind us, he wrapped his arms around me and crashed his lips against mine.