Part One

**If you read this before and just went "OMG its updated new chapters!" please re read the first chapter because, while the same story, I am revamping it. This story will now be told in Four parts. I am adding more dialogue as well as added scenes I hope it is to your liking weather you are new to this tale or coming back again :)**

***I do not own InuYasha or any affiliated characters***

~*Part one*~

The quiet midnight air was chilly for mid-spring. A thin layer of frost touched the edges of life, giving everything an eerie glow from the pale light of the setting crescent moon. Standing alone on a treeless hillside overlooking a gentle valley stands a tall figure. In the moonlight his silver hair seems to shine as he stands, unmoving watching the hours pass.

Nestled in the valley is a small village, it looks no different than any other in the area, indeed few know its significance. Yet Sesshomaru is drawn here returning to look down on the valley where he knows she sleeps. It was on this day, five years ago, that he left the sweet and always cheerful Rin in the care of the old priestess, Kaede.

When the battle with Naraku was over he knew she needed to be among her own kind. After all it was for her own good to be with them. For a time he would visit, bringing her small tokens, gifts even. Until she was fourteen years old. That memory was always a painful one to visit.

Please don't leave me her voice still echoes in his mind. Shaking away the remnants of the past Sesshomaru looked to the distant growing light on the horizon.

He left her and never took her back. At least that is what he said he would do. She did not see him, he made sure of that. Every so often he came to see her, watching from a distance as she slowly grew older and more beautiful.

Lord Sesshomaru, Taiyokai and lord of the western lands, found his thoughts straying to where he had despised his father for going. The place where, in Sesshomaru's opinion, he in the end lost his life for. The companionship of a mortal woman. It had caused his great father's downfall and also caused InuYasha to be a constant mar on his lineage.

Even his despised half-brother had followed their fathers path and wed a mortal priestess. While this continued to annoy him, he couldn't make the slight feeling of jealousy go away that arose when he saw the way they looked at each other.

As a solitary man he was not accustomed to feeling lonely, and so it was a shock when Rin was no longer there. The short time he had her with him, he didn't at the time realize how much he relied on her constant company.

The pale color on the horizon told him that she would wake soon, she would start the day with her washing and head for the nearby river. He knew that several girls would accompany her and they would laugh and chat while doing their chore.

He used to follow her keeping an eye on them as they washed but he soon found that it annoyed him to see her doing such menial labor, and so he no longer followed. Now he would simply stand on the distant hill, watching her come into the day.

As the sunlight crested the hill he saw her come from the hut, at this distance most mortals would only know a human had left the home. But his eyes were much sharper and at once recognized the pale pink kimono that he had last gifted to her almost five years ago. Her dark hair was still held back only in part, she still tied it up on the side of her head, the rest hanging loose and free in the wind down to her thigh.

This day instead of laundry she held only a small bundle and instead of turning to the river she turned to the forest. A flash of worry came over him and he wondered at her stupidity, the forest was an unsafe place to go alone.