Chapter 4

Harry's POV

Throughout the campfire, I watched them. Not just Cassie, but Zayn. Their lawn chairs were almost too close on the other side of the fire pit. They were laughing and whispering, and every once in a while Cassie threw her head back and cackled at Zayn's jokes like they were too much to handle. When he stared at her, Zayn's eyes reflected not only the flames from the fire, but lust, and interest; a look that I've seen all too often. I knew that look. And I felt like throwing up.

Cassie was now helped Zayn place his perfectly-toasted marshmallow on a graham cracker. She was staring up at him with the same new-found affection, and I'm pretty sure my insides were going to combust.

"Harry! Takes yours off, it's black!" My mom shouted, knocking me out of my daze, and gestured to the darkened marshmallow hanging off my stick. Of course.

I practically laughed at the situation while I walked over to the trash bin to get rid of my failed marshmallow. Of course Zayn gets the looks. Of course Zayn gets the grades. Of course Zayn gets the perfect marshmallow. Of course Zayn gets the girl.

Oh, stop being so melodramatic Harry. I thought, and then chuckled at my little pun. Ha, melo, like marshmallow.

No but seriously dude, she's just a girl. She's older than you, way out of your league, and lives far away. Besides, Cassie probably hasn't even kissed Zayn yet. We've been here like, 3 days?

I walked back over to the campfire and slumped in my seat between my mom and Cassie's mom, and loaded up my stick with a marshmallow for another try.

Everyone was suddenly quieter now, even the parents. I glanced up again at Zayn and Cassie across from me, because, well... I just did okay?

Zayn knocked his marshmallow stick up against Cassie's and she smiled shyly at him. As sickening as this was, it was all too cute, they already seemed like a couple.

They couldn't have kissed yet... I told myself. Zayn would've told you.. right?

Zayn POV

It was practically midnight now. The parents and Harry had gone back inside after the fire had started to die down, leaving me and Cassie alone.

She was laying sideways in the lawn chair, feet hanging off the armrest and head propped up on the other. We had managed to keep a decent conversation for a while, probably an hour or so, but mostly about school and such. Now, I just really wanted to kiss her.

It was quiet now between us, the only sound being the light crackling of the fire and leaves gently rustling behind us in the breeze. She shivered next to me.

"Cold, love?" I asked.

"Kinda," she laughed, embarrassed. It reminded me of that morning, out by the river.

"Here." I shrugged off my gray lacrosse hoodie and handed it to her. This was becoming some kind of habit between us; giving her my clothes and all.

"Oh, it's fine. We're going inside soon anyway," she stood up out of the lawn chair, prepared to go back inside. But I wasn't satisfied.

"No. I want you to have it." Without giving it a second thought, I grabbed her by the hips until she couldn't get any closer, and put my hoodie over her head myself, and pulled her long hair loose until it flowed down her shoulders like before.

"Uh, thanks." She shoved her hands in the big from pocket timidly but didn't back away. Then I put my hands in the sweatshirt pocket and pulled her even closer.

Cassie POV

I noticed his dark eyes getting bigger, closer to mine, and with our faces inches apart, I could hardly breathe. "No problem ba-" He didn't even finish his sentence before his lips were on mine, moving so gently I didn't even register what was happening, that he was even kissing me. They literally tasted like chocolate; after his many s'mores, and sneaking the chocolate from the table when he thought no one was looking. His lips smooth, sweet and delicate began to move faster, making my breath short and my heart speed up. This wasn't a kiss, this was cardiac arrest, and it was hot. He more fell than sat back down on his lawn chair, gently pulling me back down with him until I was in his lap. His hands were on my shoulders, he bit delicately on my bottom lip. I held my ground, though, and I kept my lips shut tight, not yet letting Zayn in.

His dark, textured hair felt amazing under my fingers, as I twirled and pulled on it. I came to a realization. This is the hot older brother, I thought. Zayn, who years ago tormented me. Smart, hot, mysterious, hot. He turned me on in ways I never thought possible. Years ago I never would've imagined this happening. Zayn was now basically cradling me in front of him in the lawn chair, kissing me hard and holding my head close to his so gently until I felt like I was going to explode. But I wouldn't have had it any other way.

"Damn." He breathed, his cool breath tickling my nose as our foreheads met. I looked into his dark, chocolate eyes and smiled. Yes, that was definitely the right analogy. Zayn was chocolate. The only problem was that I was melting under his touch.

We sat in comfortable silence for a few seconds before he said, "Listen. I know we're both just out of breakups. And if you don't want this then I understand completely. But you can't deny that you felt something... because I sure as hell did."

I nodded and he grabbed my hands loosely in his.

"Cassie, love, if you wanna talk or... make out again," he chuckled, "you know where to find me." He tilted his head and quickly kissed me on the cheek before he walked back inside, leaving me out by the campfire feeling dizzy, confused, and utterly turned-on.

🎉 You've finished reading Stuck In The Middle (Harry Styles/Zayn Malik) CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE 🎉