chapter fourteen: a trick

Brad and I's relationship had become seriously fucking complicated. I didn't know how to act around Brad now that he was trying to be all lovey dovey towards me now. It was frankly weird as fuck. I wasn't used to this side of Brad. I was used to the flirty, sometimes overly perverted side of him that checked out guys and girls whenever he felt like it. I was not used to this side of Brad. I couldn't help, but feel like Brad was using all of the tricks of the trade on me. I know all those tricks. I formulated most of the tricks. Did he not know that?

That was why I had to avoid Brad. Brad would want to be that stupid b-word – And it was much too soon. No. It was too early for that bullshit. That was the difference between Brad and I. Although he was a fucking uncontrollable pervert, he was a relationship guy. I, on the other hand, was not. Brad was about fool around, but only if it meant something. He didn't just go around sticking it into whomever he thought was hot, contrary to popular belief.

The worst part about this whole thing was that I couldn't act normal around Brad. Half the time I was thinking about either fooling around with him or how hot he looked, and the other half I was trying not think about how hot he looked and how much I wanted to fool around with him. A part of me wished things were like they used to be. But fuck was avoiding Brad so fucking hard considering he lived two houses away. I even had my mom screening the doorbell now. If Brad was at the door, I told her to tell him that I wasn't home.

"Are you and Brad still not friends?" my mom sighed. "I thought you two were okay now."

"We are," I snorted. "It's complicated. Brad and I need a break from each other."

That's all I could explain it as. I didn't want my mom knowing that Brad had a thing for me. She would be all over it. Her and Brad's mom – That was an "I told you so" waiting to happen. The only place I couldn't avoid Brad was in school, but hell – did I try my fucking best. I had even changed my seat in health class so that I could avoid sitting next to Brad. And I'm sure Brad realized that I was avoiding him. He wasn't stupid.

Sure, it was probably a dick move considering that crazy make out he and I had a couple of days ago, but I couldn't bring myself to be with Brad. Brad's my bro, and as much as I enjoyed fooling around with him, I didn't want to ruin our friendship. If Brad and I continued down this path that is exactly what would happen. The thought of losing Brad scared me. I knew Brad could care less about the consequences. He was all about the now. Someone had to think about the future.

I chewed on lower lip, as Brad's eyes caught mine in the middle of class. I quickly glanced away, focusing on our teacher, until I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I slid my phone out, glancing at the screen to see Brad's name. I sighed as my eyes ran over his message.

Changing your seat now too. Damn, babe. That's cold.

I rolled my eyes, ignoring his text message. After class ended, Brad caught me in the hallway, practically chasing me down. He wrapped his arms around my neck, so I couldn't possibly escape.

"You can't escape me, Nick," Brad smirked, pulling me towards his locker. "I know you've been avoiding me which is a complete dick move on your part. Look I know I came on a little strong, but jeez, now you won't even respond to my texts. Come on. I have feelings too, you know? You're breaking my damn heart here, babe."

"You're being overdramatic," I snorted. "And yeah I've been avoiding you because I don't know what this is that we're doing, Brad."

Brad groaned. "Why does everything have to have a clear cut definition with you, Nick? I like you, and I know you like me. End of story. You're the one making this complicated."