chapter thirteen: most improved player

Brad and I's friendship was seriously over. He and I hadn't spoken since I punched him in the face which was about two weeks ago. That punch had earned me a phone call from Brad's mother. Apparently, Brad's mother had just pulled into the driveway when she saw our altercation at my house. My mother was trying to figure out what exactly Brad and I were arguing about, but I didn't tell her. I just told her that Brad and I weren't friends anymore. She didn't believe it at first, but now I think she was starting to see it.

School was much more awkward now. The list of people giving me dirty looks in the hallway had grown exponentially. Now it was Dylan, Sam and Brad. Weirdly enough, Dylan and Sam had been spending a whole lot of time together. I'd catch them laughing and joking in the hall with each other. They probably bonded over their mutual hate for me. Fuckers. They wouldn't even have noticed each other had Brad and I not dated either of them.

The worst thing was that the annual sports formal was coming up. Sam and I were supposed to go together, but since we were broken up, it looked like I'd be going alone. I was going to skip out on it, but they presented the sports awards there, and coach would literally have my ass if I didn't go. So I had no choice but to go stag.

"You look so handsome," my mom complimented me as I adjusted my tie. She pulled her camera out, and took a series of photos of me.

"Mom I'm going to be late," I sighed.

"Ok! One more before I drop you off," she insisted. "But are you sure you don't want to grab a ride with someone?"

I rolled my eyes. By someone, I know you she meant Brad. "Yeah I'm sure."

My mom nodded. "Okay. I remember there was a time when my seventeen year old son wouldn't be caught dead getting dropped off by his mom."

"Well sometimes we have no other options," I snorted following my mom out to her car. I glanced over two houses down to see Brad standing outside with his mother, and Georgina. Of course, he would be taking her as his date. I glanced away as soon as he looked over towards us. My mom, of course waved.

"Brad looks handsome," she commented as I slid into the passenger seat of her car. "Who's that girl with him?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Some slut."

"Nicholas," my mother warned. "Now that's not nice language to use."

She's right. Georgina was nice. I was just bitter because I was going alone. But then again, that's typical me, always riding solo, because none of my relationships last longer than three months. As soon as my mom pulled up to the school, I sighed deeply.

"Could you pick me up at nine thirty? I want to be gone before the dancing happens," I sighed.

"Nick you're going to have to get a ride from a friend or your coach," My mom sighed. "I have work, remember?"

I nodded, kissing her on the cheek, before I walked inside. I sat down at a table full of the soccer guys. Thankfully Dylan was sitting at a different table. He and Sam had apparently come together, and judging by their flirtiness towards one another, I think they were becoming a thing. That was pretty quick. Sam and I had just broken up two weeks ago. I wonder how long they've been thinking about screwing each other. I sucked my teeth.

"Hey, is someone sitting here?" Someone asked from behind me. I turned around to see Troy standing there.

"Yeah," I muttered.

"Didn't see you there, Nick," Troy said plopping down into the seat next to me. "Almost didn't recognize you without Brad."

"Yeah," I mumbled dryly. "Don't you have a table to get back to or something?"