Chapter 6, the fun is just beginning

Start from the beginning

“Grover.” Mr. D said suddenly, “are you playing or not?”

“Yes, sir!” Grover yelped, and shakily took the seat beside Mr. D.

“Hanson, are you joining us?” he asked me.

“Sitting out this round sir.” I said.

“Alright.” He gave me a look, then turned to Percy. “You do know how to play pinochle?”

“I’m afraid not.” Percy said warily.

“I’m afraid not sir.”

“Sir.” I could tell the Percy didn’t like Mr. D very much.

“Well, it is, along with gladiator fighting and Pac-Man, one of the greatest games ever invented by humans. I would expect all civilized young men to know the rules.” Mr. D said.

“I’m sure the boy can learn.” Chiron said.

“Please,” Percy cut in, “what is this place? What am I doing here? Mr. Brun-Chiron-why would you g to Yancy Academy just to teach me? Why were you looking to meet me Tif?”

Mr. D snorted. “I asked the same question.”

“And I had to ask that question.” I said. “If Grover thought you were special, I felt like I needed to know.”

                  “Why?” Percy asked.

“Personal reasons.” I said quickly. That was my excuse to cover up The Hex. If people found out about that, I’d be dead faster than anyone could lift a finger against it.

“Percy,” Chiron covered up, “did your mother tell you nothing?” He was smiling sympathetically, like he did back in the class room, just letting Percy know that he was liked the most out of the entire class.

“She said…” Percy looked pensive for a moment, then said, “She told me she was afraid to send me here, even though my father had wanted her to. She said that once I was here, I probably wouldn’t leave. She wanted to keep me close to her.”

“Typical.” Mr. D said. “That’s how they usually get killed. Young man, are you bidding or not?”

“What?” Percy asked.

Mr. D quickly and impatiently explained bidding in pinochle. Percy looked a little confused, Mr. D isn’t the best teacher ever. I helped him bid.

“I’m afraid there’s too much to tell.” Chiron said. “I’m afraid our usual orientation film won’t be sufficient.”

                  “Orientation film?”

“No.” Chiron said in a tone that stopped me from going to set it up. “Well, Percy. You know your friend Grover is a satyr.” He gestured to Grover. “You know that you have killed the Minotaur.” He pointed at the shoebox on the table. “No small feat either lad. What you don’t know is that your friend Tiffany is a demi-god.” He pointed at me. I silently thanked the gods that he said demi-god.

“Wait.” Percy said. He turned around and looked at me. “You’re half god?”

“Yup.” I said. I straightened up proudly, slightly on instinct.

“Then, who’s your parent?”

“Apollo. God of the sun, healing, and twin god of archery, among other things.” I smiled. Among other things was right. Dad was a busy guy.

“And that’s why you were helping that blond girl?”

“Yes. I’m a medic here, if we were to ever go to war.”