Chapter 6, the fun is just beginning

Percy didn’t look so sure about walking all the way around the porch of the Big House, but that’s why Grover and I were there. He seemed amazed by the scenery that I now took for granted.

As we were nearing Mr. D and Chiron, I saw Annabeth leaning against the railing. Chiron was in his wheelchair, obviously wanting to ease Percy into this whole thing, and I couldn’t help but be grateful.

“That’s Mr. D.” Grover murmured, pointing at the man himself. “He’s the camp director, be polite. The girl, that’s Annabeth Chase. She’s a camper, but she’s been here longer than just about anybody.

“Except me.” I cut in.

“Tiffany and a few others yes.” Grover continued. “And you already know Chiron…” Grover pointed at Chiron, who had his back to us.

“Mr. Brunner!” Percy cried. Chiron turned around and smiled at us. “Ah, good, Percy.” He said. “Now we have four for pinochle. Unless, Tiffany?” he turned to me.

“Just observing this time around Chiron.” I said.

Chiron nodded and offered Percy a chair beside Mr. D while I walked over to Annabeth to lean against the railing.

Mr. D took one look at Percy and said “Oh, I suppose I must say it. Welcome to Camp Half-Blood. There. Now, don’t expect me to be glad to see you.”

                  “”Uh, thanks.” Percy said, moving his chair away. I dunno hat his problem was, it was a warmer welcome than I got.

“Annabeth?” Chiron called to her. Annabeth stepped forward. “This young lady nursed you back to health Percy.” He said. I scoffed. He looked at me. “Aided somewhat by Tiffany. Annabeth my dear, why don’t you go check on Percy’s bunk? We’ll be putting him in cabin 11 or now.”

“Sure Chiron.” Annabeth said, and turned to Percy. He straightened up, like he was some huge hero, and expected Annabeth to compliment him. Instead she said “You drool when you sleep.” And sprinted down the hill.

I burst out laughing and Percy slumped down a little bit. “So, you, ah, work here Mr. Brunner?” he asked quickly.

“Not Mr. Brunner.” Said Chiron. “I’m afraid that name was a pseudonym. You may call me Chiron.”

“Okay.” Percy said, a puzzled expression on his face. “And Mr. D…does that stand for something?”

Mr. D, who had been shuffling the cards, stopped. “Young man.” He said, “names are powerful things. You don’t just go around using them for no reason.”

“Oh. Right. Sorry.” Percy said.

“I must say Percy,” Chiron broke in, “I’m glad to see you alive. It’s been a long time since I’ve made a house call to a potential camper. I’d hate to think I’ve wasted my time.”

“House call?”

“My year at Yancy Academy, to instruct you. We have satyrs at most school of course, keeping a lookout. But Grover alerted me as soon as he met you. He sensed you were something special, so I decided to come upstate. I convinced the other Latin teacher to… ah, take a leave of absence. Tiffany took a particular interest, and joined me.”

“You came to Yancy Academy just to teach me?”

Chiron nodded. “Honestly, I wasn’t sure about you at first. We contected your mother, let her know we were keeping an eye on you in case you were ready for Camp Half-Blood. But you still had so much to learn. Nevertheless, you made it here alive, and that’s always the first test.”