XIX ~ Over the Threshold

Start from the beginning

     Elliot's arms instinctively began to outstretch to comfort me before he retracted them hoping no one would notice, all too aware of the eagle-like stare of my Father who disapprovingly appraised him, his face offended at the sight of him. "Bodhi's not like that, Mom!" I shouted, refusing to listen to what she was saying.

     My Brother was many things, but violent never had a place on that list. There were times when Bodhi had ended up with many a grounding for a week or two or a lecture that would drain the very life out of him as he had defended me whether I was right or not, and the time had come for me to do the same for him.

    "No, I know that Avalina. Please don't think that I want to light the torches and brandish the pitchforks against my own son. I know how close you've always been to him... It's just.." Her eyes held so much pain beneath their ivy green surface. 

    "Excuse me, Mrs Bennett? I'm almost finished with your husband's stitches, but there are a few more that seem to be causing him a lot of distress. Would you mind coming and standing near him?" The paramedic spoke with his assured calmness.

      She nodded weakly, faking a gentle smile before her eyes returned to mine as she pulled me into her, holding me so close to her chest as she cradled me. It was so odd to feel the affection in her gesture, but I hugged her back. She was my Mom, after all.

    "It was your father," she whispered through her tears, her voice shaking and full of defeat. "He attacked Bodhi first."

     With that, she left to join her husband's side. Her voice was so broken as though with each word, she was reliving what she had witnessed. My mother had witnessed the moment that no Wife and Mother should ever have to witness.

        The moment when a family breaks down.

       My head was spinning. I stood like a statue with my back to it all as the paramedics finished their job, my Mother thanking them and showing them to the door while my Father poured himself a whiskey. We all dispersed to our own corners and rooms, finding solace in the dark shadows of the cabin.

     It was when I finally found the strength to turn to look at the room that I saw Cady sitting by the window, listening to her I-Pod. She had drowned out the scene before her, ignoring everything and everyone. It was in her apathy that I knew our family had no hope left.

----

10:41pm - Bodhi Bear - Call.

10:46pm - Bodhi Bear - Call.

10:49 pm - Bodhi Bear - Call.

11:18 pm - Bodhi Bear - Call.

        "Please answer." My tears stained my pillow as the moon comforted me in its constancy. I knew it was the only thing right now that I could count on, without worrying that it would leave me or break down.

----

11:59 pm

Bodhi Bear: Ava?

Me: Bodhi, where the hell are you? What happened?

Me: I mean, Jesus Christ, dude.

Me: Answer me. I am not even close to joking.

Bodhi Bear: I'm in one of the hotel rooms in the club.

Me: Are you okay?

Bodhi Bear: I fucked up.

Bodhi Bear: Again.

Bodhi Bear: When will I actually stop with all of the bullshit and get my shit together? Why do I ruin everything?

Me: Can I come and see you? We can talk.

Me: Please?

Bodhi Bear: Not tonight Ava. I need to get my head together. Everything is just a mess.

Me: Well, what do you need me to do?

Me: It's my turn to be the shoulder to cry on. Do your worst bro.

Bodhi Bear: Ava. Seriously.

Me: I am deadly serious. In the words of the wonderful Shia LaBeouf...

Me: JUST DO IT.

Me: Sorry, you know I make bad jokes when I'm anxious. Please talk to me :(

Bodhi Bear: Are you really sure you want to hear what I have to say?

Me: It's what I'm here for Bodhi.

Bodhi Bear is typing...

----