Chp. 2

It had been an entire thirty minutes we had been waiting to take off and I was already becoming impatient. I wanted to leave, mostly because I wanted to get off of this plane as soon as possible. Not only because I hated flying, but now I had a bad omen sitting next to me. 

I could feel her getting situated as the intercom came on, announcing, “We will be departing shortly, please  turn off all electronic devices.”

I hadn’t talked to this girl in months and honestly, I wasn’t planning on it anytime soon. I know, you’re probably wondering why, I was a senior, and I would most likely never see her again after this, so why not mend old wounds?

I’ll tell you why, because that was her job, she was the one who fucked me over, and I wasn’t repairing something I didn’t break.

Finally we were off, and as I felt my heart rate speed up I tried to keep myself cool and collected. I didn’t want to look like a pussy in front of Claire, I didn’t want her to think I was going to weak and talk to her either. 

Me and Claire had a rough history, we met at the end of Junior year and became really close over the summer. We were good friends, and since I had a crush on her I made it obvious that I liked her. Thing was, she never came out and said, “I’m a lesbian, Alex,” but on the other hand, she never came out and said, “I’m not a lesbian.”

It was confusing relationship, one day she would hold my hand in the hallway the next she would blow me off for some random guy. It took a big toll on my heart, and as hard as I tried to make her decide what she wanted, she never did. 

So I stopped talking to her, completely cut her out of my life in hopes to repair myself. 

Truth was, I never fully did. 

And now I was sitting next to her, stuck here for 10 straight hours, but I wasn’t talking first, I wasn’t breaking now. 

I remembered one significant day, the day I met her actually, it was a couple months before junior year ended actually.

~ ~ ~ FB ~ ~ ~ (flashback)

I walked into my first hour like I usually did, immediately walking to my seat next to Mallory. I couldn’t tell you how fed up with school I was this year, and it was passing by to slow for my liking. I took my binder out of my booksack, opening it and remembering I hadn’t done my homework the night before, and I cursed, “Shit.”

Mallory laughed silently, “Forgot to do your homework?”

I rolled my eyes, “Yes.”

She handed me hers, “Here, just copy mine.”

I took it from her, silently thanking her and jotting down the answers to the worksheet as quickly as I could. I heard my teachers voice speak, “Hi, you must be Claire.”

I didn’t recognize the name, or the country accent, that filled the room, “Yes ma’am.”