A fate worse than death for Talia

Uberto was awake late at night on the bed in the extra room. He thought about Talia lying with her sister in the next room. Had she wondered if there was someone else in his life and was her kissing him meant to find out? Did she have feeling for him? She was a beautiful girl with the bearing of a princess. Strange she was not given to someone. Or was she? No, he thought, for she would not have kissed him.

Uberto wondered about himself. Besides his loss of memory, had his head injury also affected his thinking? He knew after today his passion was unaffected. His desire for a woman was real. Yet was there a faint memory of someone that came to him when he was with Talia? Again, he racked his brain, trying to remember. No picture came to his mind, and frustrated, he finally managed to fall asleep.

The next morning, he again shook his head, maddened by his inability to remember. He had been here for days recuperating, and although strength was coming back to his body his mind was still blank. Not that he had any difficulty remembering anything since the blow to his head.

He noticed sometimes Talia would sprinkle a powder or granules into his food and when he asked about them, she said the added ingredients were herbs or ground up seeds that would help to speed his recovery. He suspected that they also made him sleepy at times, but he didn't try to stop her for he realized whatever she was doing was likely helping him. He noticed how Anna, her younger sister, seemed so devoted to her.

It was time for him to leave to try to find his own people. Unfortunately, he had nothing to go on. Talia did not know of the design of his emblem or the rays inscribed on his dirk. Tomorrow he would go for the first time to the great hall and talk to some of those there, perhaps even the lord of the manor, to learn if anyone knew of his people.

* * *

Talia woke up later. She had not slept well. She knew Uberto was practically healed, except for his mind. Would he ever be able to recall his past? No matter, at the moment. She would have to tell him her plan and then ask him if he would help her. She regretted him having to learn of the shameful circumstances of her life. She had been readying herself and her sister, preparing for their departure. She heard Uberto moving in the next room and then he was up-looking at her from the doorway.

"Good morning," he said, stretching his arms up toward the ceiling.

"To you also," she answered, still reflecting on what she needed to say.

"I'm feeling well today and think I will go to the hall to see what if anything there might be to eat. Maybe I will find someone who can tell me where my people are located."

"There is nothing there to eat," she spoke quickly. "Sit down, Uberto. I have good bread and some honey to go with it. Besides, I have something I need to tell you." She turned from where she cut the bread to see him sit down on the other side of the table, a question mark on his face.

She hesitated before continuing. "I should have told you before, but now the matter is suddenly more urgent. I have been committed to marriage. In two weeks," she added.

"Then why did you. . ." his words were interrupted by loud knocking on the door.

"Yes, who is it?"asked Talia.

Without waiting for the door to be opened, a huge, wildly bearded man stepped in. His clothes were well made and fitted but soiled with dirt on one thigh. His demeanor was fierce and anger showed on his face. He look directly at Uberto. Turning to speak to Talia, he said, "So my charming sorceress, you have done it again. Taken in a wounded bird and set its broken wing. This one," he motioned to Uberto, "cleans up much too well. Send him on his way."