Carina fears the worst

He shuddered, and his eyes seemed to survey the room. Then they looked up to her and their eyes locked. Talia looked away, suddenly feeling flustered by something she could not explain.

Turning back to him she said, "I am glad you are finally awake," she said.

"I feel as though I have been asleep for a long time." Uberto closed his eyes. When he opened them, the woman was still there. She was not a dream. She still stood over him, her long, blond hair hanging down in front as she leaned toward him. Her tunic was simple and looked freshly cleaned with a small adornment woven above her heart. Its loose folds did not hide her figure and he saw that her smile was touched with concern. He did not feel his usual strength, but for the first time his head did not cause him distressing pain

"How do you feel," she asked, taking a step closer to the bed. .

"Much better, though I feel weak and very hungry." He grabbed the corner of the blanket covering him and with one hand and tossed it aside, then remembered, he had nothing on.

"You don't want to do that," said the girl, turning away from looking at him.

"Where are my clothes?" Uberto tried to speak loudly, but he quickly realized that even his voice sounded weak. He retrieved the blanket. "Did you take them?" The girl was still turned away from him.

"Are you covered?" she asked. She turned back to him, a hint of a smile registering on her face. "Yes, it was my uncle and I who undressed you and washed you. You were very sick, though today your color has improved. Your clothes are washed too; I will go and get them."

Uberto didn't like the thought of being undressed and washed by strangers—particularly a young woman he didn't know. However, there was nothing he could do about it now. He wanted to get up, to test his strength, and most of all to get something to eat. He was ravenously hungry.

She came back carrying his clothes and unceremoniously dropped them on the bed. "There," she said. "You seem strong enough to get them on yourself, but call if you need help. I'll be nearby." Turning back at the doorway she said, "Be careful, you may still be faint. When you are dressed you can come and get some food."

Uberto watched her as she left the room. She was pretty as well as kind. Had she not been, he might be dead now. Immediately he began putting on his clothes. He felt weak, breathing harder than he would have thought from such activity. Once dressed, he sat down on the bed and rested a moment before getting up and unsteadily walking out of the room. The throbbing of his head started again, though not as bad as before. Holding onto the doorway, he found the girl in the next room bending over a pot hanging over a fireplace. The aroma of its contents made his mouth water.

"How do you feel," she asked, glancing away from the pot to look at him.

"Weaker than I thought but very hungry. Whatever you are cooking has an excellent aroma."

She left the pot to go to him, and taking his arm led him forward to a chair at the table. "Sit down. I'm afraid if you don't you will fall. Are you sure you shouldn't be back in bed? I could bring your food there." She seemed to take a good look at him before going back to where the kettle simmered on the hearth.

"I'll be all right once I get some food in my stomach."

"No you won't be just yet. It's going to take some time." She went to the pot and ladled the stew into a bowl, then added a sprinkle of some condiment before bringing it to him.

His eyes followed her. "What was that you put into the bowl?

"Some spice," she said with a smile as she set the steaming bowl in front of him. She watched him take the spoon and eat ravenously, not even looking up until he was done. She quickly got him a large cup of mead and watched as he downed it, only once stopping for air.