Chapter 7: Forgivness and Reasons

So close. This is what I had been telling myself for the last week. It was the last day of detention Then I was free, and I could get my life. And the feeling would be amazing. Not only were we being lifted of punishment, but my friends were slowly starting to get over themselves as the punishment dragged to an end. They talked to me regurally now. I guess it's because they thought James and I would slowly fade from each other as time went on. I highly doubt that would happen though. We had practically become best friends, and I don't think lack of detention would change that.

I laugh a little thinking back to a month ago. I would pray in the morning that I would never have to see the sleezeball known as James Potter. Now, well, I guess that seeing him is like a little relief were we can both be ourselves. I look at the clock in my room while writing my Potions paper. It reads 11:45. That means that it is time to head to my last detention! I walk out of my room practically skipping and meet James at the portrait hole, which we had been doing latley. "You ready?" I ask James, in a very singsong voice.

"Been ready for three weeks," he replies, just as happy as me. When we get into McGonagoll's office, she is sitting at her desk marking some third years papers.

She looks up through the tops of her glasses. "Good morning both of you." she pauses for a moment. "Its been a long couple of weeks, hasn't it?"

We both nod in agreement. "Indeed Proffesor, it has. Are you ready for Gryfindor to start winning Quiditch matches again?" James asks.

"I am ready Potter. Both of you have been suprisingly cooperative during these detentions. That is why I have come to a decision," as if for dramatic effect, she takes a moment to take a breathe. "Go back to the common room."

I am dumbfounded. "What Professsor?"

"No detention today. It's over, have a nice day."

James has a sure smile growing on his face. Then he does something that makes me laugh so hard that I am rolling on the ground. He goes over to McGonagoll, and gives her a huge hug. "Thank you  Professor! Thank you so much!"

"Mr. Potter, I appreciate your gesture, but get off of me." she says, rather unamused. Its was hysterical. "And get out, both of you."

We do as she says, and begin to meander down the halls together. I am smiling like a complete idiot. "How happy are you that all of this is done?"

"Pretty happy," he replies. "But I am gonna miss spending every day with you."

I am shocked by his response. "What?"

"I will miss spending all this time with you."

"But we are still going to see each other everyday. I mean, come on James. We sleep down the hall from each other for God's sake."

"That's not what I mean Lily. We will have our friends. I can never just be us."

"It's fine. I promise."

"I guess you're right Evans. You always are."

I chuckles softly. "Shouldn't you be practicing Quiditch? You are Seeker for the next game..."

"Indeed I should!" James begins to run down the halls. "See you later Evans!"

I begin to laugh as he jumps and  clicks his heels together mid run. I head back to my room in Gryfindor Tower. I walk up the staircase and see Evi on her bed. She had been the most stubborn about talking to me since I befriended James. She said something about me being used and wasting my time with the Snitch. And something else about me being played like a little girl. Her exact words didn't stick in my head, but I know that they were offensive. This couldn't go on forever though. We would have to talk at some point or another. I also know that if Evi took her stubborn head out of the clouds, Willa and Carol would forgive me. "Hey elfhead." I say jokingly.

She looks up at me with her grey, untrusting eyes. "Shouldn't you be at detention?"

"Um, McGonagoll let us off the hook today."

"Good for you," she looks back down at her book again.

"It was the last detent-"

She cuts me off. "I am well aware of that."

"So? Can we talk again?" I am screaming in my mind for her to just say yes. But with Evi, it can never be that easy. "Why were you so upset about me being friends with James?"

"Because I don't trust him Lily. I never have. He lives in your debt, or at least he act like it. His world revolves around you. And I really don't like who he hangs out with."

"What?" What do his friends have to do with anything? Remus is the top of the Gryfindors in our year, Peter is timid but very sweet, the only problem is Sirius." Then what I say hits me. Evi has a problem not with James, but with Sirius. "What do you have against Sirius?"

"He's an even bigger bastard then he seems to be, did you know that?" she looks at me in a sad, almost mournful way.

"You never talk to Sirius here though, how could you have some anger built up against him?" I question. It doesn't make sense. "You never had anything against him last term. The two of you never even talk during the term. You actually fancied him a little last year. What happened?"

"Having any desire to even look at Sirius was a mistake." Then she begins to get frustrated. "Don't you see Lily? I didn't have to talk to him during the term. He lives down the road from me when we are during holiday."

The puzzle pieces of Evi's anger are starting to come together. "Did something happen during?-" My voice trails off before the question is finished. I think I already knew the answer.

She nods. "It was a stupid summer fling that should have never happened, because he ended it in fear of people knowing. And right before this term started too. We were going to wait to tell everyone. Little did I know that he was just stalling to end it. Should have seen it coming. I think he was really into me too, he is just afraid of a little commitment."

"My god Evi! That's awful! I am so sorry."

Tears now begin to stream down her face. "And I just didn't want James to hurt you the same way Sirius hurt me. I am so sorry. Please forgive me."

"Always elfhead, always." We sit in silence. I think about how all Evi was trying to do was care for me.

*********

YAY for me posting new stuff! I don't know why, but I am in a really good mood today. It's probably because my school's semi formal is on Friday, and I am really excited.

And don't forget to....

Vote!

Read!

And give me feedback!!!!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kisses!

♥♥♥Anna♥♥♥