Chapter 10: Dodging Questions

Hinata was frightened. She hated to admit it, but she was. Of Gaara. It was the emotion in his eyes. Hunger.

He had one hand tangled in her hair and one resting on the back of her neck. She could fight. But, she was hypnotized by his gaze. She wanted to run, but she didn't. His words kept echoing through her head: you don't have a choice. Or did she?

Gaara stared at the girl in front of him. Such a fragile little dove. So unaware of all the dangers that lay in the world. Poor little angel. She belonged to him now. She had no choice. In mere seconds, she had become his captive. He ran his fingers up and down her spine, causing her to shiver.

He was toying with her. They were both aware of this. They both didn't want to end the game however.

Just then, they heard someone approaching the kitchen. Their heads turned to look at the entrance. Kankuro and Temari entered.

"Hey-what's going on?" Kankuro asked, taking in the full impact of the scene.

"Nothing," Hinata and Gaara said in unison.

Temari had a bemused look as she took in the position that they were in. There was also a small trace of surprise in her dark blue eyes.

"But... you-Gaara-Hinata-you guys are," Kankuro trailed off making odd, random hand gestures. It took all of Hinata's self-control not to start laughing. "Why are you like that?"

"No reason," Hinata answered as Gaara just shrugged.

Temari's smile became more pronounced. She grabbed Kankuro by his hood and dragged him out of the room, saying over her shoulder, "We'll just be leaving. Going into the living room. Continue."

Gaara and Hinata didn't move. They heard Kankuro and Temari turn on the television. Only then did they face each other again. Hinata reached up tentatively and touched his forehead. He didn't move, letting her cool fingers trace over the tattoo.

Gathering some of her courage, Hinata grasped either side of his head and moved it down several inches, he was nearly a head taller than her now. Quickly, she brought her lips to his forehead, right over the tattoo. Blushing scarlet, she released his head and untangled herself. She then proceeded to walk out of the room. Gaara was left alone, trying to comprehend the strange feeling he felt.

Meanwhile, Temari and Kankuro were talking under the noise of the television.

"Did you see what they were doing?" Temari asked.

"No. That's what I was trying to figu-"

"Baka! You don't ask them. You observe. Didn't you pay attention during our gathering information classes?"

"No."

"At least you're honest," Temari said, throwing up her hands.

"Do you think Gaara likes her?" Kankuro asked.

"I don't know. It certainly seems like it, doesn't it?"

"Yeah. He carries her here, faces her cousin, catches her, and walks her home."

"He also helped her stop stuttering."

"Gaara did that?"

"Yeah." Kankuro let out a low whistle.

"It's like he's growing up. Makes me feel old," Kankuro said, leaning back and closing his eyes.

"Makes you feel old? Imagine how old I feel."

"You do have a point."

"Say anything more and you're going back to Suna in a box."

Kankuro held up his hands innocently. "I'll say no more."

"Good puppet boy."

"What do you think they're doing?"

"How do you expect me to know? I don't have the Byakugan."

"I know that. I thought you might since you're older and wiser and have a steady boyfriend."

"Well, they could be doing anything from kissing to having sex."

"In the kitchen?" Kankuro looked disgusted.

Temari giggled as she said, "It's not the weirdest place."

"I don't want to know how you know that."

Temari's grinned widened. "You should hear some of the things we girls talk about. From-"

"SHUT UP! Knowing Gaara, he could be murdering her."

"We'd hear her screaming and him laughing."

"She might not scream. And we haven't heard him laugh while killing in a long time."

"True. But still, Gaara's avoiding paperwork. Killing the Hyuga heir would add quite a lot of paperwork."

"Good point."

Just then, Hinata entered the room. Her face looked pink for the briefest moment. They could have imagined it, but didn't think that they did.

"Hey," Kankuro said.

"Hi," Hinata said, sitting down on the couch. "What are you doing?"

Avoiding the subject, eh? Kankuro thought as he said, "Watching TV, bothering Temari. The usual." Temari shot a look at Kankuro.

Gaara entered the room. He gave Temari and Kankuro a look that clearly said I-don't-want-to-talk-about-what-you-walked-in-on-currently-and-if-you-do,-you're-dead. He sat next to Hinata, who looked up shyly at him from beneath her dark lashes. Gaara returned the glance nonchalantly. Temari shot an inquisitive look to Kankuro, who shrugged.

0o0oo0ooo0oo0o0

"So, Gaara," Kankuro said. It was nearly dinnertime and the girls had gone into the kitchen to prepare it. "What's going on between you and Hinata?"

"How can you call yourself a shinobi if you ask such blunt questions?" Gaara asked, his tone clearly bored. "You did take information gathering classes, did you not? As the Kazekage's brother, you should be able to gather informa-"

"All right already! Temari was already harping on me. Could you just answer the question?"

"I could, but I won't."

Gaara got up and went into his room. Kankuro sighed. What was it with everyone and his information gathering classes? He'd paid attention. Most of the time anyways.

"Hinata, how much rice?" Temari asked, holding up a measuring cup.

"Two cups."

"So, have you ever had a boyfriend before?" Temari asked, easing up to the subject as she measured the rice.

"Not really. I went out twice with Kiba, but they weren't true dates."

"I think I've got a new guess." Temari had given up on her original strategy. Blunt was her preference.

"All right," Hinata said, watching her hands as she cut vegetables.

"He's a man of power," Temari said, watching Hinata's every movement. "He scares many and-"

"Temari-chan, it's not Orochimaru or Itachi," Hinata said, suppressing a smile.

Temari looked in confusion at Hinata as she figured out what she meant. Then, she said, "I wasn't talking about Orochimaru or Itachi!"

"You weren't?" Hinata asked, trying not to laugh. "It certainly sounded like it."

"Never mind. What were you doing with my brother?" Temari asked, exasperated.

"Nothing."

"But-"

"He was merely warning me."

"Of what?"

"Playing with fire leads to burns."

With that, Hinata put the vegetables into the dish, smiling to herself. Temari proceeded to hit her head on the counter.