Chapter 6: Empty Conversations

Hinata lay on her bed in her room, hugging a pillow to her chest and staring at the ceiling. She wasn't doing anything, just thinking. Explaining things to herself.

Why am I attracted to Gaara-sama? He and Naruto have nothing in common, except that they both have demons inside of them. Well, Gaara-sama did. I haven't ever talked to him before. His physical features are striking, Hinata could not help her blushing, but not as striking as Sasuke's. I only saw him fight that once during the Chuunin exams. I don't get it. I don't understand love. I guess one could counter that you're not supposed to understand love, but that would make it so much easier.

While Hinata was trying to understand love, Gaara had walked into the apartment. Kankuro was sitting on the floor, working with 'Crow.

"Where's Temari?" Kankuro asked without looking up.

"Killing Naruto," Gaara answered.

"Incorrect. She's here," said Shikamaru from the doorway. "So troublesome."

Kankuro and Gaara turned around to see Shikamaru supporting an unconscious Temari. He entered the apartment and muttered something about 'troublesome woman.'

"I'm going to put troublesome woman in her room, all right?" Shikamaru asked.

"Don't try anything funny, understood?" Kankuro asked, glaring at Shikamaru.

"And get beaten up by her when she wakes up? I wouldn't dream of it," Shikamaru said as he walked to her room.

"What are you all doing here?" Kankuro asked.

Standing in the doorway was a group of boys in there late teens. Lee, Kiba, Shino, Sasuke, Sai, and Choji. Neji wasn't there and neither was Naruto.

"Well, we kept the girls from killing Naruto and they all collapsed. So, we had to bring them to their homes and then we ran into Shikamaru and followed him," Kiba answered, smiling. "Naruto has been delivered to Tsunade-sama. Just imaging what she'll do to him. She hates it when he uses that jutsu."

"Why did I have to deal with Sakura? I had no clue where her house was," Sasuke complained.

"If you stalked her like Kankuro does, you'd know," Kiba answered.

"I don't stalk Sakura! She's ugly! I stalk-" Kankuro began, but stopped himself.

"Who do you stalk?" Choji asked.

"None of your business," Kankuro said curtly.

"Let us hang out here and we won't tell the girls," Sasuke said.

"Done."

The boys entered as Shikamaru reentered the room. Kankuro glared at him, but made no comment. The boys sat down and started talking about something utterly pointless, which Gaara ignored. After a bit, Temari walked into the room, rubbing her head.

"You're awake, Temari," Shikamaru said.

Temari yawned and said, "Yes I am, Lazy."

"Troublesome woman."

"Lazy."

"Stop already. That's going to make me sick," Kankuro said, making a face.

"Fine, puppet boy. Hey, Gaara, what happened to Hinata?" Temari asked, turning to look at the red head. "She didn't come after Naruto."

"I walked her home," Gaara answered emotionlessly.

All the boys stared in shock at Gaara and Temari started choking. She stopped long enough to ask, "How hard did I hit my head, Shikamaru? I thought I heard Gaara say that he walked Hinata home."

"You didn't hit your head, Temari," Shikamaru said.

"Ah, the youthful pleasures of youthful love!" Lee said, his eyes shining as he walked over to Gaara and place a hand on his shoulder. "Youthful Gaara has finally realized his feelings for the quiet, youthful Hinata-"

"Shut up, or I'll re-break your arm and leg," Gaara said coolly.

"Youthfully shutting up," Lee said cheerfully.

"And get your hand off of me."

"Youthfully obeying," Lee said walking away from Gaara.

"Why did you walk Hinata home?" Temari asked. "Answer truthfully."

"I was bored," Gaara said, looking out the window.

Temari sighed and sat down on the floor. She muttered under her breath, but everyone heard, "He can be so annoying sometimes. You can never get a straight answer out of him."

The conversation was given up for the rest of the day. The boys and Temari spent the day talking and arguing. Eventually, they started to disperse. Soon, only Gaara, Temari, Kankuro, and Shikamaru were left. Kankuro wasn't happy about Shikamaru, but Temari gave him a look that said if he said anything, he would be dog meat. Kankuro wisely decided not to test her.

0o0oo0ooo0oo0o0

The next day dawned gray still. For some odd reason, Konoha was having a very wet season.

Gaara hadn't slept that night. He slept occasionally. So many years of being an insomniac had turned him off of sleep. He could survive without it. Sleeping could be a pleasant release though. A break from the world.

Gaara had been kept up for most of the night. She haunted him. Their argument played around his head. Who would have ever thought that an angel like her could haunt a demon like him? It drove Gaara crazy.

Gaara picked up his gourd and walked outside. The rain was falling softly again. The trees swayed in the wind, creaking. Warning him, perhaps. That danger lay ahead.

Gaara walked to the practice grounds where he had met her. He expected it to be empty. He didn't expect for another person to be there. A Hyuga, no less.

Neji Hyuga walked out of the shadows, his eyes fixed on Gaara. Gaara watched him too. They stood twenty feet away from each other, waiting for the other to make the first move.

"Why are you here?" Gaara asked coolly.

"I could ask you the same thing," Neji replied, matching Gaara's coolness.

They glared at each other for a few moments longer.