Chapter 9: Warnings

After a few seconds, Temari gathered her bearings and said cheerfully, "Hey Hinata. What brings you here?"

"I've got your clothes."

"Thanks. Would you like to stay for a bit? The rain's getting heavier."

"Yes, please."

"Come on," Temari said leading Hinata to her room.

Gaara and Kankuro were left staring at one another in the kitchen. Kankuro had at last stopped blushing, but wasn't meeting Gaara's gaze. Finally, Kankuro said, "Gaara, here's a little piece of advice: don't try to keep dating a girl quiet. Temari will find out and you'll find out a little how hell feels."

"Hell?" Gaara had never heard that word used before.

"It's not such a great word. It's a place where the devil and his demons-" Kankuro broke off.

"Where the devil and his demons what?" Gaara could be insistent sometimes.

"Live."

"So, that's where I'm from," Gaara said more to himself than to Kankuro.

Kankuro looked up, shocked, and said, "Technically. But, to be a demon, you have to be heartless. I think you have a heart. So, you're not really a demon."

Gaara was going to argue, but stopped himself. His brother was just trying to be nice. They stood staring at each other for a few more seconds, before Kankuro broke it again.

"I need to get some supplies in town. I'll go tell Temari."

Just as Kankuro was leaving the kitchen, he heard Gaara ask quietly, "Can I come?"

"S-Sure Gaara," Kankuro said shakily. He never knew what to expect from his younger brother.

0o0oo0ooo0oo0o0

Temari and Hinata came out of Temari's room. Kankuro and Gaara had been gone for an hour. It wasn't like Kankuro to waste time.

"So, Hinata, who's the mystery guy?" Temari asked, sitting on the couch.

"You'll laugh," Hinata said smiling.

"That's it! You've stopped stuttering!" Temari said, acting as if she had found a great discovery. "I kept noticing something, but I couldn't tell what. When did you stop stuttering?"

"The day Gaara-sama walked me home. He helped me."

She heard a choking noise and looked at Temari in concern. Temari finally asked, "Gaara? My brother Gaara?"

"Yes. Are you all ri-"

"I'm fine," Temari said waving her hand. "Gaara helped you stop stuttering?"

"Yes."

"He's changing. Growing up. I never thought I hear of Gaara being nice," Temari said laughing slightly. "Next thing you know, he'll probably have a girlfriend."

"He doesn't have one?" Hinata hid her interest very well.

"No. He's been so busy. He hasn't even kissed a girl. It's actually kind of funny. He has tons of fan girls lining up outside his windows and doors and he doesn't even notice that they exist."

Just then, the door opened. Temari and Hinata turned to see a soaked Kankuro and Gaara holding some bags. Gaara was smirking slightly and Kankuro was smiling.

Temari walked over, saying, "You guys are wet."

"Thanks for noticing," Kankuro retorted, placing the bags on the ground and taking his hood off. His face paint was running down his face. He proceeded to shake out his hair, dog-like, and got Temari wet.