Chapter 1: Training in the rain

Gaara couldn't stand it. Sitting in the apartment. It was too restraining, despite the loudness of it. It was raining, but that did not stop the numerous visitors for the Sand siblings. Temari was talking with Shikamaru and Tenten. Kankuro was surrounded by Neji, Sakura, and Shino, who were watching him repair 'Crow. Sasuke, Ino, Sai, Kiba, and Choji were talking strategy in the center of the room. Lee and Naruto were sitting on either side of Gaara, trying to get him to talk to them.

It wasn't that Gaara wasn't glad to be in the Leaf Village. It was great to be out of Sunagakure. Ever since he had become Kazekage, he had been stuck, usually, behind a large stack of papers inside. His protection had been stepped up since his abduction two years previously. It had taken two months just to get their coming cleared. But, it had definitely been worth it.

"I'm going outside for some air," Gaara announced in a voice that clearly said that if anyone followed him, they would be killed. He straightened up and picked up his gourd as Temari said, "All right. Don't stay out too long."

Gaara nodded and walked out the door. Thankful for the silence, he walked out of the building. As he stepped outside, drops of water fell onto his long-sleeve shirt. Rain Gaara remembered it being called. He looked up at the clouds. The 'rain' was falling from clouds. It didn't really make sense. He would have to remember to ask Temari about that.

Looking around, Gaara decided to walk through the trees. It looked peaceful. Since his demon had been removed, Gaara would not have to worry about ruining it. Like he done to many other things. Walking through the woods, he looked around for the birds that he heard singing. But, it was spring and the trees had all their leaves. So, the birds were hidden from his view.

Soon, the trees started to thin. He finally entered a field. In the center of the field, there were three wooden posts. Gaara thought he heard someone panting and hitting the wood. Moving forward silently, he saw a girl. The girl looked to be around his own age, with dark, indigo hair. She had pearly, opal eyes. She was soaked to the skin and muddy. She had obviously been practicing for a long time.

Gaara recognized her. What's her name? Something 'H'. It was during the Chunin Exams. Hyuga. That's it. Hyuga Neji is that guy with eyes like hers back at the apartment. So the girl is... Hinata? That sounds right. Hyuga Hinata.

The girl hit the post a few more times with loud whacks. Breathing heavily, she sunk down to her knees in the mud. Gaara walked forward. The girl looked exhausted. Like Temari and Kankuro looked after training. Gaara never looked tired, something Temari and Kankuro would say was unfair. Gaara didn't even really know what 'tired' or 'exhausted' really felt like. He had guessed, but never experienced it.

"Hyuga Hinata?" Gaara finally asked the girl after he had walked so that he was five feet away from her.

Hinata looked up and stared into the oddly colored eyes. The crystal clearness of them left her even more breathless than she already was. Looking at the ground, she said, "S-Sabaku no G-G-Gaara. W-what are y-you d-d-doing here?"

"I was walking. What are you doing here?" Gaara asked.

"T-training."

"Are you tired?" Gaara asked after a second.

"T-tired?"

"Yes. Are you tired?"

"A-a l-little."

"You should go home," Gaara said. Then, pointing at her arm, "You're shaking."

"I-I a-am?"

Before Gaara could reply, Hinata collapsed into the mud. Looking surprised, Gaara moved forward and gently pushed her over on to her back. She was breathing. So, what to do with her? Temari will know what to do, Gaara decided. Picking up Hinata, she's light, he carried her back to the apartment.