Chapter 1

"You guys are going to love Salem," Devin McDerrmott told his two teenage kids, Kate and Isaac. "I hear it's a wonderful town."

"You're forgetting the about the whole witch trail thing, aren't you?" Isaac said as he crossed his arms and looked out the window, watching the dead and boring scenery pass by them.

Devin has been promoted as sheriff in Salem and had to move his family there because it was quite a long drive to get there from Boston.

And also, Devin thought it would be a good thing if they got away from Boston after his wife and their mother died from Cancer a couple months before.

"You're going to enjoy it," Devin informed. "Everything is close by. You can walk to school here."

Kate groaned and put her earbuds in, letting the music fill her ears as she ignored the world. Isaac put earbuds in his ears and put his laptop to his lap where he started to play a movie on it.

The rest of the drive was silent and without realizing how close they where coming to the city.

They where at the line separating the town from the next town over. A welcome sign to the city rested on the side of the road that read Welcome To Salem. The sign looked like it has been there since before Devin's father was born.

"This city already sucks." Isaac said as he looked at the sign.

"This could be fun. They probably have so many great events coming up since it's almost Halloween," The sheriff said to his son.

They drove further into the town, passing by the school they will be attending.

"Salem High." Devin said. "Only a few blocks away from the house."

The kids looked out the window at the school. It looked like every other High School in the country but this one had a weird feel to it. Must be the eerie fall look to it. 

When they got to their road, kids where playing. Some dressed as vampires, ghosts, or werewolves, pretending to attack eachother.

Devin pulled up into a long driveway, a house sat at the end of the drive. The house was big, three stories, and a few dead trees around scattered in many different directions. The yard covered in leaves from the Fall. It almost looked like a haunted house in a horror movie.

"You have got to be kidding me." Kate said, getting out of the car.

"Dad, are you serious?" Isaac added.

"It's not that bad." He informed the kids, looking up at the house in front of them, his hands on his hips. "It just needs a little touch. Don't worry. We'll fix it up."

Devin walked up the steps and unlocked the door to the house and stepped inside, leaving the door open. The kids still in the yard, looking at the house.

"Is everything in Salem this creepy?" Isaac asked Kate. Not taking his eyes off the house.

Kate walked to the car and grabbed a box out of the trunk and walked to the front door. Isaac following her lead, carrying his own box with him.

They put the boxes down as they stared at the open space in front of them. The room had hardwood floors with matching walls. A giant fireplace on the wall in the middle of the room, right in between two stairwells leading upstairs, with a balcony in between both stairways. Boxes filled the room. No furniture in the house yet.

"You like it?" Devin said, motioning to the living room.

"Uh..." Was all they could say. It wasn't the best looking house. They didn't expect much and this was still a disappointment.