Restaurant Basics in Italy: Giancarlo Vedeo of Lavajet

Eating out while visiting Italy is part of the cultural experience of being there. The Italians take pride in their cuisine and in eating at some of the best restaurants in the world. Etiquette while eating in Italian restaurants is different from many other parts of the world (including the United States). When you sit down at an Italian restaurant, the waiters expect you to order at least two courses during your meal. Don't worry, these courses aren't usually large enough for a full meal. If you're hungry, you'll want to eat at least an appetizer with your meal.

Most restaurants in Italy have a cover charge to get in, or charge for bread at the table. Tips are expected, but not as much as you're used to in the United States. Italians tip about ten percent for good service. You can't tip using credit cards, so take some cash with you when you go out. Typically restaurants aren't excited to split plates unless you order several plates. For lighter food and a happy hour kind of atmosphere, go to a pizzeria or a bacaro—a Venetian wine bar. Make sure you taste the local wine wherever you go.

Giancarlo Vedeo of Lavajet is from Varazze, Italy. Vedeo is the President of Lavajet, a waste management company that operates waste collection services and safe, responsible disposal facilities for many cities in Italy. Recently, under Vedeo's leadership, the company expanded overseas, with a new office in Miami. Vedeo still lives in Varazze.