In Which Fionna talks to Marshall's mom

"Please?" Fionna asked for what felt like the eightieth time. "I'd feel like a fake if she didn't go!"
"Too bad! You decided to make a deal with my mother, not me!" Marshall snarled. "And my daughter will not pay the consequences!" 
"Marshall, please." Fionna begged. "I promise, at the first sign of trouble, I'll take Jazz out of there." 
He dug around in his pockets and held out his cellphone to her. "Cancel. Tell her you've shaken yourself free of her snares."

"What's going on?" Jazz and Dessie had wandered in from the other room where they were watching Power Heroine. 
"Nothing, sweetheart. Mommy and Daddy are just..." Marshall trailed off, and Fionna grinned. 
Jazz frowned, and Marshall sighed. "That was a mistake." 

"Whatever dude. Pay up." 
Sighing, he reached for his wallet, and she stopped him. "I'll trade it in for a favor." 
"She's not going." 
"Don't you trust me to babysit your kid? I trust you with mine." 

He frowned at her. "Don't you dare play that card, Fionna." 
"Look... I understand why you don't want to talk to your mom. If-if my birth mom came back, I wouldn't want to talk to her either. But I can't keep pretending that I'm something I'm not." 
"That's not my fault! We both tried to tell her! She's just too stubborn to comprehend it!" Marshall hissed, throwing his arms into the air. 

"Marshall, you're very stubborn too." Fionna pointed out. "Now, why don't you come with me if you're so worried?" 
"I..." He dropped his arms, scowling at her. "No. I hate her." 
"Okay. Hand me the phone." Fionna sighed. 

He held it back warily. "What's your plan...?" 
"There's no plan! I was just thinking Dessie and Jazz and I could get a free lunch while your mom spent time with her granddaughter and didn't bother you about your relationships while you're in town." Fionna shrugged. 
Marshall considered this. "...hmm... okay. Jazz and I will come. But you have to be ready to go at a moment's notice and you owe me for this. And the Freudian slip didn't count earlier." 

"Done." Fionna agreed, before grinning and shaking his hand. 
"So we're going to meet Granny?" Jazz asked. 
Dessie shrugged. "I guess. Hey, since I don't have a granny, can I share yours?" 
"Of course!" Jazz smiled. "I didn't even know I had a granny, so I'm not losing anything!" 

"I am..." Marshall groaned. 
"No backing out." Fionna pointed out. 
"I know, I know..." Marshall sighed. "And you're going to make me behave myself, aren't you?" 

Fionna shrugged, grinning. "It certainly wouldn't hurt. Come on, man. Think of it like a boss battle in a video game!" 

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~ 

Honoria looked genuinely surprised to see Marshall's lanky form along with Fionna and the girls. 
"He must really like you." She commented, sipping her coffee. 
"Yeah, well, I also like free breakfast that does not involve the cursed leprechaun." Here he shot Jazz a look, and she giggled, before picking up a menu and perusing it. 

"I can't read cursive." She immediately said, handing it roughly to Marshall. "Pancakes, please." 
"We can have pancakes?!" Dessie breathed. 
Honoria laughed. "Your children are adorable, Marshall. When is their birthday again?" 
"July 14." Jazz grinned widely. "Like the French!" 

"Thanks for this, Honoria." Fionna said without meeting Honoria's eyes. 
"How could I not? You even brought Marshall." 
"To keep my kid from being infected by your evil." He muttered, holding up the menu as a cover for him and Fionna. "Do not let her get you alone. She will try to destroy your soul. I've seen it happen before." 

"I'm stronger than that." 
"Yeah? So was Ashley. We're still not wearing wedding rings-- she'll assume all of this was in wedlock. I've changed my mind. We need to go now." 
Fionna stayed in her seat, trapping him between her and Jazz. "Trust me, Marshall. I can handle this. I don't need you being my knight in shining armor."