Chapter 9

Demi

I missed Nick while he was in California. We talked everyday & Skyped often, but most of the time the kids hogged the computer when we Skyped. I Skyped him once after the kids had gone to bed & we were both lying in bed while we talked. I felt myself getting aroused, missing him in bed next to me. Him & I hadn't made love since Christmas, so it was all I could think about. We tried to have some sexy talk while we Skyped, but he just got frustrated when still nothing happened below his waist. I laid in bed that night, thinking of ways I could make him get hard & stay hard, but all that did was make me want to touch myself. At least one of us still had the ability to be aroused.

Nick had been gone for over two weeks & was due to come home for the weekend. I was really looking forward to it & so were the kids. They had made him some signs that said, "Welcome Home, Daddy. We missed you." I wanted to bawl when I saw them.

Friday afternoon, I was standing in the driveway, with Harper & Riley, waiting for the kids to get home from school. Avery was with my mom & she was bringing him home later. Nick was supposed to be home late that night, after the kids would be in bed, but I told them they could either stay up or I'd wake them when Nick got home.

I was watching Harper & Riley playing, nearby. Harper was pushing her doll in a stroller & Riley was playing with a pile of dirt. I smiled, then felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I saw it was Nick when I pulled it out. "Hey, my love."

"Hi, Beautiful." Nick said, his voice sounding less than enthusiastic.

"Are you getting ready to head to the airport soon?"

"Uh... not exactly." Nick sighed & I felt worried all of the sudden because of the tone in his voice. "Baby, I'm so sorry, but they had to make some changes & now I have to shoot all weekend. I'm not gonna be able to come home."

I took a deep breath, trying not to cry or scream. "Why?" Was all I could manage to get out.

"There's a scene that they want to do at a house, when originally it was going to be in a hotel & I actually offered to let them use our house, but they want to do it this weekend in case they want to reshoot it at a different location. The hotel, I guess doubled their rates & they pulled out, so, we're shooting it in the L.A. house all day tomorrow & then Sunday afternoon. I won't be able to come home, baby. I'm so sorry. I feel really bad."

I cleared my throat as I looked down the street & saw Mercy, Reid & Jerry walking with Karleigh. They were still a block away from the house, but seeing them made me sad because I knew how upset they were going to be. "Don't feel bad. I know shooting stuff sometimes, shit happens. You have to do what they tell you to. It's your job." I said, trying to keep my voice from shaking.

"But Sunday, it's gonna be over two & a half weeks so we'll be breaking our rule." Nick said, quietly.

"I know. Tomorrow is exactly a week & a half. I can't even come visit you because Mercy has rehearsals for her play tomorrow & Jerry has a basketball game. Mom, I know, has something going on this weekend & your parents are still in North Carolina. It's just too hard to find someone..."

"Baby, I know. You don't have to explain. I'll come home next weekend, actually on Thursday morning & if we can't get through this separation, then we have no business being married." Nick let out a chuckle.

I groaned & sighed at the same time. "I guess so. I just miss you & the kids miss you."

"I miss you all so much. I'll Skype the kids tonight to tell them if you want."

"No, I'll tell them. The kids are walking toward the house right now." I said then took a deep breath. I was dreading telling them this & seeing the disappointment in their faces.