Chapter 7

Demi

I ran from the crowd that had watched me punch that douche bag & ended up in the backyard. There were a few people out there, but no one paid attention to me since they were coupled up & into each other, not noticing anything around them. I found a chair to sit on near the pool, that wasn't being used. For being a house in Texas, it had a very Hollywood vibe about it. The owner lived here & in Los Angeles & shot his movies in both states most of the time. Since this party was here in Texas, there weren't a lot of Nick's co stars from the movie he was doing, which right now I was grateful for. How embarrassing to have your wife punch out some hot young actor. Of course when I saw the young man I punched, I knew he had a reputation in the entertainment world of being a tool. I probably did someone a favor, honestly. He probably had that bloody nose coming.

I looked up at the stars, through my tear filled eyes. I was so mad at myself that I didn't just walk away from the guy when he made those comments, because now it was probably going to be viral & my kids would see it. This whole night was ruined & it didn't go at all like I had hoped. I heard footsteps & looked up to see Nick walking toward me.

"How's your hand?" He asked when he was close enough that he didn't have to yell.

"It's fine."

"You sure? You hit that guy hard enough to break his nose."

"Yea, well, my husband taught me how to throw a punch." I quipped, glancing at him but not smiling.

"He taught ya well." Nick said then sighed. "I'm sorry I got drunk."

"You should be. I told you not to & you promised you wouldn't." I mumbled.

"I didn't promise, technically."

I sighed, annoyance evident in the sound that came out of me. "Well thanks for ruining my night, Nick. I just wanted to have a nice romantic New Year's with my husband & you had to ruin it because you have this complex about getting older." I threw my hands up & shook my head. "It's ridiculous."

"Not to me." He said, flatly. I didn't reply because I didn't know how he felt. I couldn't speak or judge him for the way he felt because I wasn't in his shoes. I just tried to be sympathetic. "Thanks for defending me, in there. If that's why you punched him."

"Of course that's why I punched him. What he said about both of us was rude & out of line & I snapped. Now it will be online & he'll probably press charges." I groaned looking at the ground.

"Maybe not because he seemed pretty embarrassed that he nearly got knocked out by a girl & if he presses charges I'll press charges against his friend. I wouldn't worry about it." Nick sat in the chair next to me & leaned on his knees. "Is it wrong that I was really turned on by that, though?" He asked, smirking & I rolled my eyes in response. "It was hot & then the fact that you were defending my honor... well...." He let out a chuckle & I knew he was trying to get me to forgive him.

"No one calls my husband a has been or washed up." I said, my lips pursed & my eyebrows going up. Nick smiled, then reached for my hand. "This isn't how I thought this night would go." I murmured, watching him caress my hand, where the skin was turning a shade of pink. "Even if I imagined you getting drunk, I never thought something like this would happen. I guess I forgot what kind of world we live in. What kind of assholes are in this business." I let out a huffy laugh.

Nick brought my hand up to his lips & kissed it tenderly. "I honestly didn't mean to get drunk. It just kind of happened. I'm really sorry." He looked up at me with his puppy dog eyes & I felt myself softening toward him. "Am I forgiven?"