"Hey," Justin said leaning out of the booth,"-aren't you forgetting something?"

I paused as if in thought, placing one hand on my hip the other on my chin, then I threw my arms by my side and smiled. "Nope." I ran out the door as his mouth dropped open.

"Where are we going now?" Justin asked as he caught my pace, stuffing his wallet back into his back pocket.

"Tulip Park," I walked one step ahead of him careful not to step on any cracks.

"Is that the big park in the middle of town. In the middle of the lake?" He asked from behind me.

I mumbled a reply and silently cursed as I stepped on another crack. Five cracks, sorry mom.

"What are you doing?" Justin asked running up next to me, a hint of amusement in his voice.

I started, completely forgetting he was there. "Oh just playing a little game."

"What game?"

I stopped and studied him to see if he was serious. He looked genuinely interested. "Uh," I started shocked,"just this little game I made up in like," my face contorted trying to remember,"-kindergarten. Someone told me that if I stepped on a crack I would break my moms back and I got fearfully scared of doing so. So when ever I walked I played this game in my head. Every crack I stepped on represented a crack forming in my mothers spine."

"Sounds fun." Before I could respond, he walked ahead of me playing the game. He stopped, turned around, and said,"Bet I can get there faster without putting my mother in a wheelchair."

My eyes widened in shock before a huge smile spread across my face. "You're on."

○○○○○○○○○○○○

"Oh please your mother is in a wheelchair for the rest of her life now," Justin said laughing as we walked into the park.

"Yours is too," I said. "When you fell you had to have landed on at least five cracks," I said in between breaths.

Neither of us could control our laughter, we were falling all over each other and tripping over our feet, as we stumbled to one of the park benches. I think we looked more drunk than weak from laughter.

We both plopped down next to each other, neither of us caring how close in proximity we were.

"Considering we both have the same mother now we both took part in completely paralyzing her." I giggled a little but stopped when I realized he wasn't laughing anymore.

His eyes had glazed over and I realized he wasn't with me anymore. "Justin?" I asked cautiously, placing a tentative hand on his thigh.

He started, as if suddenly remembering I was there.

"Oh. Sorry. I just zoned out." I must have looked worried because he placed his hand on mine and gave me a reassuring smile. "I'm fine."

I studied him awhile longer before deciding to leave it alone. I sat back and lied my head on his shoulder, my hand still resting on his thigh. He took my hand in his and traced circles on my palm.

We sat and watched the sun set behind the trees. Watched as the sky was engulfed in orange and red, then purple and blue, until the only light left was the moon shining through the thin clouds that were scattered about the sky.

After a beat of silence the lights that had been shining when we arrived cut out.

Justin sat up, suddenly alert, and I felt myself missing the warmth of his hand on mine and his chest hitting against my back as he brought air in and out of his lungs. I cursed myself for having such thoughts and sat up to place a gentle hand on his shoulder. He looked at me but before he could say anything lights started to come on behind me. I turned and smiled when I saw the little circle of light in the middle of the park.