chapter 4

I found Skylar leaning against a pole in the walkway that led to the gym. He was standing there talking, but there wasn’t anyone there. When he turned his head, I saw that he was on the phone. I stopped where I was, maybe a couple of feet from him, and I waited for him to finish. Then, I saw him look at me and heard him say,

“Bye mom…yes I am busy for lunch…yes mom I am…bye mom.” He hit the end button and shoved his phone in his pocket. He bent down and picked up my sax case and came towards me. “Hey, how were things with Coronas?” he asked.

“Not very good at all. Things were getting weird in there, so I left when he said that the band had to go out to the field.” I said.

“Oh, well he was telling us some weird stuff about what is going to happen and some weird things about you and what your life could have been. It was getting pretty odd in there for everyone and then…” he started to explain.

“Wait, what all did he say about me?” I asked.

“I’ll tell you at lunch. Ok?” he said, “We need to get back to the field before practice starts. I think Coronas is waiting for everyone to get here first.”

“Ok.” And we walked back to the field holding hands.

Everyone didn’t seem to have noticed that we just came back. They were all still talking about mine and my dad’s car. I noticed everyone’s instrument cases were out here, but no one had their instrument out. They were all just standing there talking to each other. So, I went over to where all the other saxophone cases were and set mine down there and walked back over to Skylar.

Then Coronas walked up and said, “I need you get with your section, and your section leader will go over everything with.” And then he walked away.

Since Coronas put me on clarinet this year I wasn‘t with my usual section, so I didn’t have anyone to be there with me to help the freshmen out. Well I guess there were some others, but I didn’t really like them. There was Keili our section leader (She is pretty nice, but she flirted A LOT with Skylar), Lisa (She is ok, but I don’t know her that well), Jenna (She just joined band last year), Neil (He is kind of nerdy), Randy (He is pretty cool, I’ve known him since junior high), and Bren (he is kind of cute and really nice). They are all in my grade; fortunately we don’t have any seniors in our section. Even though Neil, Randy, and Bren are the only clarinet guys in our band, they are pretty cool.

Keili was organizing us by grade and I was debating on messing with her by standing with the four freshmen to see what she would do or how she would react. Everyone liked messing with her like that, because she is really OCD. Everything has to be in order and in a certain way, but that’s what makes her a good section leader. So, I decided not to mess with her. I just stood where I was and waited for her to finish explaining everything to all the freshmen.

After she was done talking, she put us in groups and had each junior help out the sophomores and freshmen. She put me in a group of nothing but freshmen, which was something that I wasn’t so sure about. I didn’t want to tell them something and it be wrong but she wouldn’t have put me with them if I didn’t know what I was talking about and that she trusted me to tell them the right things. Unlike Randy and Bren, who are messing with the freshmen guys and flirting with some of the girls in other groups.

I explained everything to the freshmen, which seemed to take for ever and demonstrated some things that they needed to know. Before I knew it, it was time for water break, and then everyone dispersed to find their friends. While they did that, I tried to find Skylar. I found him standing with all of his friends talking and laughing. I walked up beside him and stood there. He glanced around and took my hand and then whispered to me, “I need to talk to you.” and he pulled me from the group.