chapter 2

The crowd easily moved (when you pushed them out of the way) and that was exactly what we did. We got some rude looks and remarks from the people we pushed by, but I didn’t care, all I wanted to do was get to my bin. Standing in front of it, was the new guy, acting like he didn’t notice me walk up now.

“Excuse me; I need to get to the bin you are standing in front of now.” I said with a little emphasis on now.

“Ok, since you put it that way we will move.” he said with sarcastic look on his face and he continued, “Oh, by the way, here is you’re phone. You dropped it when I startled you with the door earlier this morning.” He handed me my phone as he walked away. He stopped next to me and whispered in my ear, “If you ever need to talk about anything that is on your mind either call or text me.” and he walked off.

“What was that all about?” Skylar asked once the group was gone.

“I don’t know, but it was weird. And so was that guy.” I replied

“Anyways, about this weekend. Are you doing anything?” He asked with a sweet smile on his face.

“No, I don’t think I am. Why?” I turned around, opened my bin and started putting my bag back in there.

“Well I was wondering if you wanted to go do something on Saturday.”

“Ok, that sounds good. I’ll see if Kay and Spence want to come.” I opened my top bin and went digging in it for my music, Hmmm, it wasn’t in the bottom bin, and maybe it is up here with my clarinet case. I thought to myself. I looked everywhere in the top side, but it wasn’t there. I went back to digging in the bottom half and I still couldn’t find it. “Do you have your music, I can’t find mine?” I asked Skylar from the back of my bin, changing the subject. I really didn’t know what to say to that, I thought he meant we get together with some of our friends and hang out all day.

“Yeah I have it, but Coronas told me that I couldn’t play this year for marching, but I could come back during concert. Sorry. Back to what I was trying to say, I meant just you and me do something on Saturday.” He asked again.

I pulled myself out of the bin, looked at him for a little while, then responded in a voice that didn’t sound like my own. “Like on a date?” I asked calmly, even though my mind was racing around saying ’yes, yes, yes, yes.’ but on the outside I was extremely calm and unsure.

“Yeah. Like on a date, but for the whole day. What do you think?” In his eyes, I could tell he was hoping that I would say yes and that he already had it all planned out.

“Yeah, that sounds like fun! I would love that.” I almost got my last word out when he picked me up again and held me close to him. I looked around and saw that everyone was staring at us. I felt my face flush, I started to smile, and then I whispered to Skylar, “You know they are all staring at us.” and looked up at him when I said that.

“They are? I didn’t notice.” He said with a smile that went across his face. He let go of me and put me down in front of him.

“How could you not notice? I mean they are all staring at us. Is there something going on?” I asked

“I don’t know, maybe it is the fact that some of them knew that I was going ask you and my friends kind of have a big mouth and they told some people about it.”

“Oh, well then that explains it. I guess.” I said with a small smile.

“Yeah and Coronas is walking in here now. Probably to tell everyone else that they have to get their instruments out and beat him out to the practice field. That would include you unfortunately.” he said jokingly.