Chapter 5

I was startled when someone woke me up and place their hand over my mouth. "Shh and follow me." I recognigized Alby and followed him through The Glade and to one of the concrete walls.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

"Stop asking questions. We are almost there." I tried to stay quiet for the rest of the walk, but still had so many unanswered questions. We made it to a wall with what looked like names carved into it. 

"Are these names?" He turned so he was facing me. 

"It's every Glader that's ever been sent here. Once they die we cross their name off. Since you're new it's your turn to carve your name in." He handed me a knife and I started to carve my name in an empty spot. "Good, now go grab some breakfast. Frypan should be just about done making it."

I walked toward the kitchen and made my way inside. "Hey Frypan!"He handed me an already made plate. 

"Early riser I see?" I shook my head.

"Not at all. Alby woke me."

"Ahh, eat well Greenie." Others were starting to arrive to get some food. I looked down at my food, not really hungry. I felt someone sit down by me, but didn't bother to look up. 

"Hey," I could tell it was Newt just by his accent. 

"Hi Newt," I finally looked up and in his direction. 

"You okay? You seem a little off." He raised his eyebrows.

"Of course I'm a little off. I don't understand anything here. Why do they take our memory away when they send us here? Whoever they may be." I sighed.

"No one really knows. Most people get some sort of memory over time, but usually small details." He explained to me.

"But why are there only kids here?" Newt shrugged his shoulders. "Sorry, I'm asking too many questions again."

"It's a piece of klunk, but no one really knows the purpose of all this." 

"Newt can I ask you something?" He nodded. "How does someone become a runner?"

"Wait, do you wanna be a Runner."

"Maybe, I'm just curious."

"No one wants to be a Runner. They are usually choosen by whose the fastest, bravest, and strongest. Don't worry about that job though. Alby will find you one before you know it."

"I get it, I'm a girl." I looked backed down at my plate. "So that must mean I can't be a runner?"

"No I didn't mean it like that. It's just, it can be very dangerous. I mean look at Gally, he went through the changing. You don't wanna go through that." Newt said.

"I guess you know best."

"I gotta get going. See you later?" I nodded and finished my food.

"Hey Stacey."

"Hi Chuck." I smiled.

"You and Newt?" He smiled at me. 

"What do you mean?" I was confused.

"It's obvious he likes you and you seem like him."

"That is most definitely the last thing on my mind right now. I just want to know why we are here and get out of this place." I put on the best smile I could for Chuck. 

"Mhm." Was all he said. 

"Stop it. So how old are you?"

"I'm only 12. The youngest here." I looked at him confused and concerned. They would let someone that young be here? "Crazy huh? To think a young boy like me is sent here and for what?"

"Yeah." I agreed with him. "Crazy."

The Greenie (The Maze Runner)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें