chapter 7

Paul was my inspiration for John.

Fiona

My head was swirling, and my stomach was on twist. This feeling was alien to me. I never got jealous during my time with Jeremy even though girls were always all over him. Or maybe I just did not pay any attention, as at the end of the day, we would eventually end up together, our attention fully on each other. Why was I being jealous of them kissing? They're going to get married for Christ's sake!

I hated to be a masochist so I grabbed Rain's keys, and abruptly stood up, "Rain, am going ahead. I'll just wait for you in the car", I told her as I hugged Brennan and waved to the lovebirds, Casey now hugging Matthew on his waist, "nice to meet you both. See you around", I told them and went ahead of them, the book forgotten on the table. " Fiona!", Rain yelled. "Do you think you can manage driving back on your own? I'm gonna ride with Brennan to his house and pick up some things." But make sure you and my car will arrive in one piece", she warned, as I saw Matthew's eyes on me, with a sign of, what? Worry?

"Yeah, I can do that", I told her, and hurriedly walked off waving to all of them.

I went to the parking lot, opened the car's back door and fixed some bags which fell on the floor. I shook my head as I realized how many shopping bags we had full of those fancy clothes I really abhor. But maybe Rain was right. I can't go to school wearing my old clothes from high school. This was college. I would finish my course with flying colors, land a job and live peacefully in Europe, my dream that would ultimately be a reality.

I slid the key and revved the engine to life. As I tried to remember the way we went, the corner we turned left and right, when out of nowhere...

" What the hell were you doing?", I shouted as I stepped on the break, and a loud screech echoed and saw Matthew waving and stepped on the side. "I nearly got you smacked, you know!",as I rolled down the window and stopped. He went to the driver's side.

"Move!", as he pointed to the passenger seat. " What?! Are you kidding me? Why are you here? Where's Casey?", I rambled and I thought I saw him smirk.

"I am bringing you home. I came here on a cab, Casey was picking up her parents from the rotary club meeting, so I told Rain I'll just drive you home and wait for Brennan there. Satisfied? Now move, before you get lost or wreck the car", he ordered again.

What the hell was he doing leaving her fiancee to bring me home? Was he insane? Or was he a serial killer who was gonna kidnap and kill me somewhere? Ugh! Sighing in surrender, as I really did'nt quite remember the way and my stupid gps was not yet working,I unbuckled my belt and eased my self on the passenger side, and buckled the other belt. He sat on the driver's seat as he threw the book on my lap. " You forgot your stupid book!". "Why did you bother when it looked you were annoyed. I did'nt buy that", I hissed. "It should have been a welcome gift from me, and you did'nt even bother to bring it with you when you walked out", he said as he was hinting he was hurt I have'nt given his token any importance.

"I did'nt walk out. I said my goodbye properly. Sorry for the book, and thank you. You should have not bothered, I would pay for it, you know", I told him in surrender.

"It's ok. It's just a book. But you know, this was the first time I bought someone a book. It was kinda...". " Weird!" I cut him off. "Yeah, I know. You are more used to buying flowers and stuff, than buying a stupid book". Omg! Did I just sound like a jealous teenage girl? Then there were those again, his dimples were showing as he smiled.

Then we were silent. I caught a glimpse of him and he just looked straight ahead and drove effortless. The inside of the car was now enveloped with his distinct smell that I will not get tired of smelling everyday. Then the familiar ring tone blasted, "John! I squeaked, as soon as I heard my brother said hello. Shit! I forgot to call him. " Oh! I'm sorry, I was kept preoccupied. Yeah, flight was ok. Aunt Amy was doing good. Yeah! Uncle Tom was away, he's on the other side of the globe. Rain was still crazy. Yeah and Brennan said hi. Uhmm, on my way home. We went shopping. My brother on the other line asked something and I nearly choked. "Have you met someone interesting?", he was teasing. I knew he, too, was sad Jeremy and I did not make it. He liked Jeremy a lot. " Seriously, John? I just arrived and you were asking me that question?", sounding mad but I thought he was not biting. I would never confess to my brother that I really did meet someone interesting and he happened to be just two feet away from me who was freaking good looking, with dimples and a beautiful voice and was engaged to be married. No way!

After a few minutes more of bantering, "Ok. Bye now. Love you and miss you more. Say hi to Shirley for me and my niece or nephew", and hanged up the phone.

I absentmindedly reached for the radio to turn the volume up again at the same time he reached for it so our fingers brushed each other and there went the tingles and sparks I've never felt before. Thank God it was dark or I could have been red like Rain's car.

We stayed silent throughout the remaining drive home.

Thanks for reading. Please comment and vote.