Chapter 1

Destiny. Life purpose. True identity. Three examples of the many ways of describing the heart's deepest desire. Above all, we want to find our destiny in life. What we're meant to be and accomplish. Who we're meant to be with. The path we're intended to follow. My path had always been foggy but I pressed on nonetheless, hoping for an inkling of insight. I was not prepared, however, for what I would find and how quickly everything would change. One night would alter my life so drastically it would be almost impossible to comprehend. How could I, a lone girl struggling to find herself in the bustling city of New York, be as important as I would soon find out I was? My life and choices following this particular night would ultimately decide not only my own future, but the future of the human race.

I don't want to get ahead of myself in telling the story though so let's start from the beginning of that night. The night that started a chain reaction of chaotic events that would leave me forever changed.

It was my best friend's birthday and she had organized a dinner and a night out on the town afterward. Some of our closest friends would be there and seeing as how we were all in our mid twenties, half were in relationships or married while the other half were still trying to figure out how the heck to travel around the world while still paying their bills on time. I was one of the few in between. Comfortable in my life and undeniably responsible but not quite settled yet. I was twenty-six and lived alone in a simple one bedroom apartment. I worked as an assistant to a wonderful veterinarian while also doing freelance photography. Photography was my passion but animals were my heart so as long as I had them both in my life I was happy. I didn't need much more than that.

"Well, you know what I need? I need for Mal to not be late tonight because being fashionably late stops being cute after about the tenth time. I love him but our schedules are so opposite."

I smiled at Harper, the best and most loyal friend I could ask for, a woman who also happened to have very little patience for men. Her boyfriend, Malachi, was known for being late to literally everything, whether it be five minutes or fifty. And he was late now, seeing as we had just been seated at our table and he was nowhere in sight. "Maybe he's taking so long because he's out buying you that diamond bracelet you wanted and he's having a hard time deciding on wrapping paper."

Harper laughed, her brilliant green eyes flashing with that birthday glow. "If that's the case, he can be late for the rest of his life. Diamonds are apology enough." She tucked some of her dirty blond hair behind her ear, lowering her voice so the other ten or so at the table wouldn't hear. "So I heard Carter is coming with him. Is that okay?"

No, no, absolutely not.

"It's fine. I've moved past it so it won't be awkward."

Yes, yes it will.

Harper gave me the look that said she knew I was lying but didn't speak on it. "Alright, if you're okay with it I won't tell security to throw him out. Let me know if you change your mind though."

I nodded. "You got it." The one thing I loved and envied about my best friend was her strong personality. She was kind but not a pushover and didn't hesitate to put a person in their place if they deserved it. I wasn't exactly a pushover but sometimes I felt like it. I was more of the passive aggressive type and preferred to hide in my shell rather than speak on whatever was bothering me. This part of my personality was something I was working on. Luckily, Harper's sharp tongue was almost always around to defend my honor.

"Harper! Should we order a round of drinks?" Our friend Zoey had shouted from the other end of the table, the waitress beside her. Zoey was a wild card and always the life of the party, her hair color changing as often as her mood. At the moment it was a jet black that blended half way down into a deep blue color, the perfect ringlets reaching halfway down her back. She was of Mexican and Irish decent which created a beautiful eye catching mix. Next to Harper, she was runner up on the best friend scale and just as loyal. The rest of the people present were other friends, coworkers, or cousins of Harper's, numbering fourteen in total. Now just missing were Harper's boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend.